Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)

Article about: Gentlemen, For your appraisal, I present my 1937 pattern Luftwaffe dagger. I acquired this and a Heer dagger (which I shall shortly be posting in the appropriate sub-forum), some 15+ years a

?

Default Named 2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)

Gentlemen,
    For your appraisal, I present my 1937 pattern Luftwaffe dagger.
    I acquired this and a Heer dagger (which I shall shortly be posting in the appropriate sub-forum), some 15+ years ago and have always been reasonably confident about them both, though this is far from my specialty.
    I purchased the pair from the son of a veteran who advertised them in a local paper, though sadly, he did not wish to divulge anything about his father’s service or even his name. Everything is nice and tight on both daggers and I see no reason to dismantle any part. That, I am afraid, is pretty much all I can tell you regarding background.
    I am aware that SMF is one of the more readily found makers, but the most interesting feature to me is the engraved personalisation on the flanks of the pommel - ‘Werner Duckstein’. Is there any way to trace any history of this original owner?
    I hope the photographs are sufficient and I look forward to your views and any further details.
    With my sincerest thanks in advance,
    Bob

P.S.: my apologies for upside down images (I cannot control them, no matter how I try), and for the state of the rug!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)   2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)  

2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)   2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)  

2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)   2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)  

Last edited by Kohima; 07-03-2018 at 03:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)
    P
    Many

?

Plus this one that got missed off for some reason...
    Also upside down.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)  

?

That's a textbook SMF Luft. Very nice! Love the personalisation.

Danny

?

Many thanks Danny!
    I’ve always liked the personalisation too. It makes what is essentially a fairly anonymous item, much like any other example, come alive.

Are there any specific features that may indicate an approximate date of manufacture?
    Also, is there any way I might be able to trace some history of Herr Duckstein? Slim chance, I imagine.

My thanks again and very best wishes,
    Bob

This is a dagger I would be proud to have in my own collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Kohima ...the photos are fine and as commonly found as SMF is...it is one of the more desired due to its craftmanship and most of the time the gold gilt that remains on the pommel swaz. Overall a great dagger and very collectable.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Never seen a Luft 2 pommel personalised like this one!
    Very nice job and great addition to any collection.

Ger
    Last edited by Larry C; 07-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Lovely dagger, orange grips, to me are irresistible.

?

Quote by jamie7d7 View Post
    orange grips, to me are irresistible.
    Double F and Miss Holland 2