Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern

Article about: Here is my Luftwaffe dagger. Unfortunately, the wires broke long ago, and were removed.

Default Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern

Here is my Luftwaffe dagger. Unfortunately, the wires broke long ago, and were removed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern   Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern  

Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern   Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern  

Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern   Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern
    P
    Many

Default Re: Broken wire Luftwaffe Dagger 2nd pattern

Hi turbodan, I have a Luft 2nd pattern with broken wires too. If you are interested I have a link to a company that sells gold plated copper wire of approximately the same gauge (0.50mm/0.53mm) which is more malleable and therefore easier to twist than brass, and less likely to crack the grip material during fitting (they also do silver plated copper wire). Look at the pitch between twists on unbroken originals and you'll get a pleasing result! It wasn't expensive, approximately 14m for round about £5.

Good honest wartime dagger.

It is possible to buy replace grip wire here for $20:

Dagger, Sword, Bayonet: Pommels, Grips, and Crossguards

Personally, I don't know if I would do this, but that is up to you. But I give the link for your info. The wire would need to be aged if you did restore it overwise it would not be in keeping with the age and wear as seen on this dagger overall.

Cheers, Ade.

I was debating replacing the grip, but something about that makes me feel like I am bastardizing the rest of the dagger by mixing and matching. I think she might just stay the way she is. But thank you for the info! I didn't realize the wire was so readily available.

I think that is a wise decision. I don't like to mess with items either.

Cheers, Ade.