Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Chain and clip dilemma.

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently asked about an early all nickel 1st model luft that had a nickel chain fit with a pot metal clip marked DRGM, after some more research i decided to go ahead and pu

?

Default Chain and clip dilemma.

Hello everyone,
    I recently asked about an early all nickel 1st model luft that had a nickel chain fit with a pot metal clip marked DRGM, after some more research i decided to go ahead and purchase the dagger, but unfortunately the dealer says he has the dagger but no longer with the chain and clip, disappointing to hear that he has messed with what was most likely the complete original dagger. He has told me that he will replace the chain and clip with an all nickel one if i still want it, so what do you guys think about a dagger with a replaced chain and clip, is it a no-no or is it no different to adding hangers to any other type of dagger. Any help to make up my mind on this is much appreciated.

Regards Tomaz.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chain and clip dilemma.
    P
    Many

?

Id just like to add that the dagger is a beauty and ticks all the boxes that i have been looking for, it has excellent matching leather, silvering between the swastika legs and a nice blade. Its not easy finding a good original example of this type of dagger and ive been looking for a few years now. Im not one for restored items with parts that are not period, which there are quite a few out there, so do you think an original period chain and clip is acceptable.

Thanks Tomaz.

I would say it would be left up to the person.

I have added SA Hangers and 2nd Luft hangers to dress the daggers up to completion,,but this was something I have done by my own hand..and not left it up to the other persons discretion. You never know what exactly what type of condition it will be ..just to add it on for you.

I have always chosen to shop around and find a hanger that would match or near match the condition of the dagger. That would be asking someone to go out and buy you a can of light blue paint for your sons room...well there are different colors of light blue paint...this is something that you must do on our own..when it comes to YOUR artifact and collection. It just isnt the same when someone else dresses it up.

The question to leave it alone swings both ways..,,some like them "as found" ...others want to restore the whole history of what it looked like during the period.

IMO Tomaz ... if you desire to add a chain..seek photos first from that person..or do it yourself...... Remember there is never one color to anything. .

Should be a great thread and would bring many Opinions.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Good point Larry, if i go ahead with it i will ask for it to match the condition of the dagger and for photos.

Thanks Tomaz.