Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.

Article about: Hey everyone. If it isn't obvious, I'm new here and just have a quick question. My step-grandma gave me these letter opener, and it appears to be some nazi relic. I was simply wondering what

TheSauceBoss
    ?

Default German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.

Hey everyone. If it isn't obvious, I'm new here and just have a quick question.

My step-grandma gave me these letter opener, and it appears to be some nazi relic.

I was simply wondering what it is, and this forum seems to have the most active user-base on the entire internet....so hopefully I'm in the right place.

Any info or input would be appreciated. Thank you! (also forgive the massive image size, i forgot to lower the settings on my phone)

German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.German Step-Grandmother gave me this, and I have no clue about it.

2. # ADS

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. A very nice miniature dagger. In fantastic condition.

If I'm not mistaken, these were salesman samples, not really "Letter Openers". The "experts" will be around with more detailed information, but here are a few threads to compare to.

Mini 2nd Luftwaffe

Luftwaffe miniature dagger SMF

Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nuremberg Schraubenfabrik and power (NSF)
    The workshop Göbel & Schoter founded in 1889 in the hive was the first Schraubenfabrik Bavaria. Following the departure of Johann Schoter Carl Göbel led the company under the name "Nürnberger metal screw factory and Facondreherei Carl Göbel" continued. In 1890 transferred the sole proprietor operating in the parental property Imhoff Road. 1

After 1897, the brothers founded a Saemann GmbH, left Göbel 1899 the company with 52 employees. The now greatly expanded operation acquired in 1908 a house in the Mendelstraße 9. But the new premises soon proved too small, so that the factory 1909/10 skyscraper Mendelstraße built 11th Two years later it acquired still the property with the house number to flourish seemed 7. The stores -. The workforce in 1911 had grown to 387 employees, the same year the GmbH was converted into a oHG Despite the events during the First World War, the company was able be further extended. When in 1920 a branch was opened in Berlin, began in 1923 with the development and manufacture of radio accessories.

This promising line of business in 1927 swapped in the Upper Canal Street. After being founded in 1932 in Croydon / GB, the British NSF, the workforce comprised 1934 2,200 workers and employees. The company continued to expand. A switch to defense contractor promised to be at this time, as the Schraubenfabrik executed arms contracts and the power produced components for Volksempfanger and military telecommunications.

The Jewish owner was forced by the Nazis to sell the factory. Therefore, the operation in 1938 sold Nuremberg Schraubenfabrik GmbH to the newly established company and complete changeover of 1939 on arms contracts. Until that time, sales had tripled. The name change to "Nuremberg Schraubenfabrik and power" was carried out in 1940.

Following the merger of the electric branch with the AEG (1942) the headcount reached 1944 peak of 3,532. The bombing on 21/02/1945 abruptly stopped the steady upward trend of the company - the power was destroyed to 80%. After the re-start 1946, the number of employees could be increased once again by the end of 1949 at 1,346

Early as 1951, a branch operation in Zeil am Main was founded, and in 1956 was a new development in the Paumgartnerstraße be built. Once the workforce had grown to 1958 to 3800, the Nuremberg Schraubenfabrik was acquired in 1960 by Gutehoffnungshütte Group. After its merger with Gutehoffnungshütte Schwerte GmbH, shifted to the production in 1967 to Schwerte an der Ruhr.
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-11-2016 at 03:09 AM.

Hi Sauce and welcome to the forum ....and yes you came to the right place ..Michael is correct about these being " salemen samples " . These samples are worth the same price as the actual fullscale dagger itself ..if not more. The condition your dagger is in is near to full mint. The patina is correct including the little hanger knot..which that in itself being a rarity..will command a $400 value. You just dont see these around as much..and especially with the portepee ! WOW

The etch on the blade is a distributor ..someone correct me if its not.
    The King logo on the reverse blade is from Stocker & Co. Solinger Metallwarenfabrik GmbH

They are known to have produced :
    Heer
    DLV
    Hitler youth knives
    1st and 2nd Model Luftwaffe daggers ...also including the minatures
    NSFK
    NSKK
    Gravityknives
    RLB officer 2nd Model

Im not a fan of multi colored Keyboard lights which bounces the glare back into the camera lense . Out of all the artifacts photograped..knives and swords are the most difficult..because of the shine that is on them.....but with time and patience and the right light setting.it can be achieved.

I like this sample alot . When did your grandmother give this miniature to you?
    This little miniature will also look nice next to a full size SMF 2nd model Luft dagger.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I've always liked these little daggers, but have never dared let myself pick up any or else I would have bounded off on a quest to get one of every type! The one you posted is a Nice little salesman sample and amazingly still has it's portapee knot in place! A wonderful gift from your step-grandmother! Thanks for posting it!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

TheSauceBoss
    ?

Hey thanks for the info! (Along with everyone else who replied, you all have been more than helpful)

My grandmother gave it to me about a year ago. I've actually been using it on and off to open letters....I'm thinking I ought stop after realizing what its value is now!

A nice example still having the original knot with it as the others have said! Congrats!
    Unfortunately, it has been over used at some time and has taken on a bend in the tang. It should be straight.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A nice example still having the original knot with it as the others have said! Congrats!
    Unfortunately, it has been over used at some time and has taken on a bend in the tang. It should be straight.
    Ralph.
    Good eye Ralph. Didn't notice that. Might be fixable but I would leave it untouched.

TheSauceBoss: No more letter opeing . Best to get a nice display case for it and leave it as is. Wipe any and all finger prints off. They will eventually eat into the blade and leave permanent spots.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great post Gunny and very informative..but I had to space it apart ...I got lost in it about halfway through..to much run together

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Cool

I like the miniatures, but not enuf to collect them in general. I have 3 or 4 - a Lw 2., a Km & something else but don't remember what.
    Sarge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast