Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Gravity Knife help please

Article about: I bought this from a member on WAF last week. I bought as an original and now questioning the authenticity. I have gone through many threads and photos which lead me to believe reproduction.

Default Gravity Knife help please

I bought this from a member on WAF last week. I bought as an original and now questioning the authenticity. I have gone through many threads and photos which lead me to believe reproduction. The bring back papers could have been for any paratrooper knife and not necessarily for this one.
    The logo looks good to me, but this is my first gravity knife. Take the tape of or not? Tough question. I would like to leave if was done period. The tape looks old but not sure if to remove or what it is covering up. There does not appear to be any cracks in the grips to cover. It does not appear to lock up properly as in it does not lock when fully extended. There is not a 5 in the drooped eagle as normally seen.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    John

Gravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help pleaseGravity Knife help please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gravity Knife help please
    P
    Many

It appears to be an original with a broken spring. The tape likely added post war due to use of this piece and the spring has broken. Also, the reason it does not "lock up" properly.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    It appears to be an original with a broken spring. The tape likely added post war due to use of this piece and the spring has broken. Also, the reason it does not "lock up" properly.
    Ralph.
    And a real shame. But the capture letter is a plus. Still one of my favorite TR era knives and a keeper regardless.

Brian

MAP
    ?

Did the seller properly describe is has having a broken spring in the Ad? If not, it is a violation of the EStand rules.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The seller did not properly describe the item but I am not going to fault him completely and through him under the bus. I bought a knife with tape on it with capture papers thinking there must be something might not be correct. The price was fair for what I received. I will need to get it repaired. I know there is a great guy that repairs these I will seek out. I am happy that it is not a reproduction piece. Thank you for the replies. Any connections for repair would be appreciated.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    The seller did not properly describe the item but I am not going to fault him completely and through him under the bus. I bought a knife with tape on it with capture papers thinking there must be something might not be correct. The price was fair for what I received. I will need to get it repaired. I know there is a great guy that repairs these I will seek out. I am happy that it is not a reproduction piece. Thank you for the replies. Any connections for repair would be appreciated.
    John
    Wasn't saying to play bad cop, just that if you wanted to return it and he gave you a hard time you had the rules on your side.

You didn't ask me, but my two cents......I would leave it as is. The tape looks old so to me I bet it was applied by the vet after he "played" with it a lot and broke the spring...so just part of the history especially with the capture papers.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I will need to get it repaired. I know there is a great guy that repairs these I will seek out. I am happy that it is not a reproduction piece. Thank you for the replies. Any connections for repair would be appreciated.
    John
    I know there WAS a fellow that was very good at repairing these but I have heard people are looking for him. I don't believe he is doing this anymore.
    If you know of someone for sure, please share it here for others who might have an interest.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I was given this link for repair. I did reach out to him and it was said that $185 will cover most repairs to gravity knives.

WW2 Paratrooper Luftwaffe German Gravity Knife Restoration Repair Service

A friend of mine also used this guy for a gravity repair.

muskratmanknives.com

Now I still have the burning question of to repair or leave as is. I would leave as is if I was confident the tape was applied prior to coming back home with it. I would repair if applied after but there is really no way to determine.
    John

It s a tough call John. For me I d guess I d look at it from a cost perspective. How much of a total investment would be involved including original purchase price vs. going rate of a undamaged one? I'm not asking it s just what I would consider. Personally I think it'd be worth more repaired, as you say the tape could be old could be new and the only story it tells is the knife is broke. I have had dealings with the man you speak of muskrat knives , same situation I had an early Schrade pressbutton switchblade with a broken back spring in good condition would of been a 700+$ knife the repair work was about the cost you are looking at. I opted to sell him the knife if I recall? Seemed like a competent repairman preservationist. So I guess it s up to you. But as long as the wood grips are in ok condition under the tape personally I d seriously consider it. Best regards.

Brian