Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late gold washed dagger hanger?

Article about: Did the Luftwaffe go gold for general grade officers dagger hanger late? Just got this one. Doug

Default Late gold washed dagger hanger?

Did the Luftwaffe go gold for general grade officers dagger hanger late? Just got this one. Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late gold washed dagger hanger?   Late gold washed dagger hanger?  

Late gold washed dagger hanger?   Late gold washed dagger hanger?  

Late gold washed dagger hanger?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late gold washed dagger hanger?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Late gold washed dagger hanger?

I've seen some this tone before, I believe it might have just been the way the manufacturer produced the blade, I do not believe that this is for a general

Their is no evidence this was issued to generals !!

I agree with WW2 Hunter,, that no supporting documentation points to these being generals hangers..might be an added feature to pay for...I would assume only that if there were general hangers that the colors on the fabric would be different or the border lines done in Gold instead of silver weave. Just a thought
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Guys. I just have never seen one like this in 50 years of collecting. Doug

Briefly: There is period documentation as it regarded the legitimate gold colored hangers for the senior grade Army and Luftwaffe officers. And a fairly large number of supposedly “General Officers” hangers and daggers sold by even some of the “names” in the TR business as legitimate dress sidearms for General Officers. When in fact they are the late standard type of daggers and hangers with the original zinc phosphate removed (by either age and exposure because of poor bonding - or intentionally by profit seekers) exposing a gold colored metallic zinc chromate anti-corrosion step that was used by some period makers. Which oftentimes needs a closer examination in preferably sunlight to make a determination.

PS: In past discussions at other times and places, this fact has not been very popular with some of those dealers and/or owners who have invested a lot of money in “General Officer's” dress sidearms/accessories and may even be trying to sell them as such to somebody else. However, in a discussion when you post a link to yellow/gold colored commercial grade metallic zinc chromate plated bolts for sale on the Amazon website - it tends to keep things real. Fred