Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard

Article about: Hello there, I have a question. I have been studying the forums as I want to purchase a Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger. I have seen quite a few variations and makers. Did they all have the oak

Hello again,

please here you can compare two sam crossguard, but form different producers and different date of production. First one is Alcoso dagger equipped with generic fittings - dagger was made in the year 1940 - it is dagger produced in the begining of war and still its quality is amazing. Another dagger is late war produced dagger made by C. Gustav Spitzer, I don´t know for sure exact year of production but I think in late 1941 or early 1942. Just compare the quality! Again it has same fitting, but later Spitzer show much more flaws than Alcoso. Spitzer dagger is on the photo with portepee.

Best regards

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard   Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard   Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard
    P
    Many

?

Once again thank you Peter for your reply.
    But Peter with regard to patinas, These are all 70+ years old. They would all have the same aged patina would they not?

Now I am trying to learn something on this subject but I am getting mixed answers from you and would like to clarify the subject which you stated that post war pieces have a hole in the grip where the wire enters. Now on the war time that wire normally run's under the ferral.

So does the hole in the grip for the wire to enter indicate post war like stated or are there examples of this being done on late war produced pieces?

I am really just trying learn something here.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Once again thank you Peter for your reply.
    But Peter with regard to patinas, These are all 70+ years old. They would all have the same aged patina would they not?

Now I am trying to learn something on this subject but I am getting mixed answers from you and would like to clarify the subject which you stated that post war pieces have a hole in the grip where the wire enters. Now on the war time that wire normally run's under the ferral.

So does the hole in the grip for the wire to enter indicate post war like stated or are there examples of this being done on late war produced pieces?

I am really just trying learn something here.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Not at all Phil..there had to be a point of entry for the wire to begin and end. The size may have varied by the thickness of the wire and also when the grips were produced.

Regads Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

OK. I was thinking that the hole I was looking at might have been what Peter was talking about. I do understand that the wire was inserted at a point in the grip, I though it was less visible and more flush with the ferral and pommel.

Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

This was very educational thread. I want to thank Peter and Larry for the patients and knowledge they shared on this subject and allowing me to pick their brains to which I have benefited greatly.

Thank You Gentlemen!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Questions and diligence to learn likes yours is why these threads exist

You are welcome anytime as this thread has taken to 4 pages . It is a great topic !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I appreciate all the help. I showed the posts to the dosents of the March Air Museum and they're excited getting such an artifact to display

?

I'm glad this turned out to have a Happy ending. Its great to know its going to a USAF Museum.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi to all,

I´m very sorry for my late reply, I don´t have a free time to answer At the first, Phil, aluminum daggers do not have same patina after the years. I have a an interesting dagger in my collection, which was find in very bad place, where the air was wet, and sometimes was dagger hit by the water, afther the rain - and in that condition dagger survive, and just look at the aluminum, fittings fo that badly stored dagger is in full mint condition, worst is the blade and scabbard - even portepee is almost mint! So natural aluminum never get patina, only if it is buried in the ground, then he can get "gold" patina. Patina what we see on this dagger, is for sure from factory. And each producer has a different factory application

And about the postwar construction on grip wire. Postwar wires are different from period, you can see it at first look when you hold the dagger on hand. Drilled holes are done very unprofesional, despite the fact, they are covered by pommel or hole are visible under the pommel, but if I remember, Spanish 1960´s daggers has all grip holles coverd by pommel or grip ring.

I apologize for my English, sometimes it is hard to explain what I want, or find exact words I know, that my answers is sometimes hard to read or understand, but I do my best

Best regards

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4