Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard

Article about: Hello there, I have a question. I have been studying the forums as I want to purchase a Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger. I have seen quite a few variations and makers. Did they all have the oak

Default Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard

Hello there, I have a question. I have been studying the forums as I want to purchase a Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger. I have seen quite a few variations and makers. Did they all have the oak leaves engraved or etched on the cross guard underside where the handle meets?
    I have seen at least 2 without the oak leaves. One was badly worn and may or may not have ever been there. It's currently for sale, the other is on Gunbrokers site and is relatively a nice piece but when I asked the seller if the oak leaves were present, he said no.
    Did they make them without them on the crossgaurd? Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard
    P
    Many

Hi Hylinder..welcome to the forum...have you read through any of the pined thread in this forum..since you are in the correct place?

Please look at the top of this forum and check out WRF Member Peter Collectors thread. You made it this far...take a look first and we will gladly help you with any further questions.

Much of what you are inquiring about can be found on that one thread and the countless other threads within this forum.

Also ...can you post a photo of the dagger you are inquiring about..photos help greatly.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The dagger came from the Blanco County WW2 Museum, which was formerly the 36th Texas Infantry Museum... which received most of its items from veterans or families of the 36th Infantry. It's also an unmarked blade. How do I post pictures?

Default Pictures of the dagger

Did they make them without the oak leaves under the crossguard? The curator mentioned the cross guard does show signs of wear. Could they have just worn away or were some made without them?

Default One more picture

Here is another picture, sorry guys I am new at this so forgive me for the multiple posts. Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

Hi Hylinder..thankyou for the pics....and no worries for the multiple posts as long as you get the photos..is all that matters.

The Dagger is correct and has see its better days ... all 2nd Model Luftwaffe daggers do not have any oakleaves beneath their guards . Mainly on top and the oakleave clusters on top varied in style by the producer.

An Identification can be found by the top of the guard of the producer who at least produced the guards..or by the producer logo on the reverse side of the blade. A close up pic of the pommel also will identify the producer. Is there a Producer logo on the blade?

Finally the real value lies within the blade and the condition. Pics of the blade ..front and back ..the pommel also would help out.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I think by how the OP is explaining this he is talking about the top of the cross guard.
    "on the cross guard underside where the handle meets"

Looking and zooming in on the 3rd pic posted it looks like the top of the cross guard is void of oak leaves.

Better pic would be needed to verify.

Larry was there a maker of the cross guards who did not put oak leaves on the cross guard?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phill..the answer is that all 2nd Luft crossguards upper ..always had an oak leaf motiff....and there were some producers that had the very shallow.

Due to the angle and the poor lighting it is very difficult to see any motif on Hylinders dagger. I would like to see clearer pics on the top of the guard.

Good eyes Phil ...Have a Philly pretzel

Regards Larry

?

Quote by Larry C View Post

Good eyes Phil ...Have a Philly pretzel

Regards Larry
    Thanks and that opportunity will be very soon .
    PM sent

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 08-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Thank you for all the support on this. The curator sent me more pictures. You can faintly see where the oak leaves were once present and have worn away. This is good but obviously worn well. We are a non-profit group working with veterans on getting the lot they're offering of WW2 items to display in the WW2 museum at March Airbase in California.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard   Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard   Luftwaffe 2nd edition dagger with no oak leaf markings under the crossguard  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast