MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.

Article about: I think the tekst means following: gewidmet von deiner BB Stelle : gift from your BB, what BB means idk. Stelle 2/648 ( Stelle= Depot or Place) Regards, Ger

Default Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.

Greeting to All,

A friend who collects a few items of militaria asked me to see if we could track down some markings on his recently purchased Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger.
    We currently do not have a picture of the dagger...!

Quote from his email..
    "I had acquired a WWII Luftewaffe
    2nd Pattern Dagger that had a plaque attached to the
    crossguard, and is inscribed as follows:
    Gew.v.d. BB Stelle
    2/6484.II.1941

I imagine that it may possibly be the person's
    rank, their name, squadron, and perhaps some appointment
    date or presentation date?"

I would be most grateful for any help with this matter.

Regards
    zambora

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.
    P
    Many

Hi Zambora... there is not much more to add to what you have already said. Yes I agree also it appears to be squadron markings. There might be a few of our Luft collectors..that may be able to give a little more insight on the markings...but not much more than what you specified. It would be interesting to see though if and when you can acquire photos Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry

Thanks for your super prompt reply...will try for photos...will be back

Z...

pics would be nice.

The back of the crossguards is where they were usually inscribed not sure if a actual plaque is attached or if its just engraved on the back, photo's to examine the engraving are a must.

Default Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed. Pictures arrived...

Hi again folks,

At last the images of the dagger from my friend have arrived...I / we hope they may help with the inquiry.
    Have uploaded them as I received them...full size...may help as a better view.

Email quote:
    "There is no makers mark anywhere on the blade, or elsewhere for that matter, however I understand that this can be the case. The handle itself is somewhat of a mystery as there seems to be a difference in colour where it has been worn, however this is undetectable to the touch. It just doesn't seem to be the usual celluloid?"

Thanks again for your help and prompt replies.

Zambora

Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger info needed.

Hi Zambora..thank you for the photos..I will move it now to the Luftwaffe forum..for further comments. The attached plaque on the back of the crossguard..looks great and unmessed with. Unmarked Luft daggers are somewhat common. Wait for the Luft boys to show up...you will get everything you need to know about this dagger ..and possible the identity of a producer.Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks again Larry for your prompt response

zambora

Hello,
    first I have to start with dagger description. This dagger is certainly late war produced piece. Pommel is certainly product of WKC (here you can see identical pommel on my dagger https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...n-dsc01571.jpg). Crossguard is nice Generic type (compare it to this one https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...n-dsc01360.jpg). Now very carefully compare each parts - then you will certainly notice that this two parts don´t match, because patina and factory applications are different - pommel show almost no wear and it has almost 100% of original factory darkening, but Generic crossguard is almost worn off and has aluminum color - so that is why I think they don´t match. Grip is very interesting, I never saw something similar on Luftwaffe dagger grip, collectors can find various types of grips - celuloid girps in white, orange, yellow, black, white painted black grip and many others variations, so in my opinion - and believe me I´m not 100% sure - this grip is authentic and grip wire is correct for late war daggers. Scabbard is WKC product (you can compare it here https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...n-dsc01492.jpg). Unmarked blade looks OK to me too.

So now lets talk about inscription on crossguard it is hard to tell if this crossguard belongs to this dagger, maybe pommel is added, we don´t know. I never saw this kind on inscription and it is well done, I hope it is genuine. Can you tell me from what kind of metal is this plate made of ? It looks like zinc...

Best regards

Peter

Peter

Thanks for your reply...as I am the middle man in this correspondence, I will pass your observations on and will see what response I get...will post as soon as I get it.

Thanks
    Zambora

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast