Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe close combat knife

Article about: Hi Guys, I have a couple of these, which I will share with you here. I see Dave has one also, so perhaps Dave you can add yours into this thread too The first one shown here has a bayonet fr

Default Luftwaffe close combat knife

Hi Guys, I have a couple of these, which I will share with you here.

I see Dave has one also, so perhaps Dave you can add yours into this thread too

The first one shown here has a bayonet frog style fitting to allow it to be carried on the belt in the convetional issue K98 leather bayonet frog.

Unmarked apart from the tiny "L6" Luftwaffe proof mark on the blade.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Luftwaffe close combat knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe close combat knife
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe close combat knife

Here is my second knife.

This has the more commonly seen clip fitting for securing the knife to the belt, boot, smock, etc.

Once again, un-marked, bar the "L6" Luftwaffe proof mark to the blade.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Hi Ade, were these used mainly to cut rigging lines for parachutes or actually as a combat knife?
    Ben

Hi Ben, these were intended for general use. As you know, most soldiers use their knives for everyday tasks much more than killing the enemy. But the Luftwaffe gravity knife (as seen in another thread) was really intended for cutting shroud lines in FJ useage.

With the expansion of the ground forces of the Luftwaffe in 1942 they needed a close combat knife which was cheap and easy to make.

Both of mine came from Canada.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Here is mine; stone mint, full cross grain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe close combat knife  

dave
    ?

Hello guys just to say that i have seen lots of fakes on these knives and they are really good but i would like to point out one thing, the main giverway is the cross hatching on the scabard clip.All the originals i have come across the hatching is cut deep and very close together and on the fakes it is scetchy and not deep.imo only.Dave

dave
    ?

Adrian only my opinion but i dont like your second knife look at your scabbard clip cross hatching.Check if the blade is carbon steel or just mild steel and let me know.Im not saying its wrong but i had one of these and sold it because it did not match a few originals i have seen.

?

I am not a fighting knife expert but have had a few examples of these and in my eyes all the knives pictured look fine to me , rgds dave

Hi Dave, sorry but you are wrong here, as both my knives came from Canadian Vets 25 years ago now.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, Unfortunately I don’t have an image of the close combat knife next to a 98K bayonet for comparison purposes immediately available. But my sense of the first knife/scabbard it is that if would have been a very loose fit - and perhaps it was to be attached to something else?? Also, while I don’t have immediate recollections of seeing a bayonet stud type scabbard in the recent past. I’ve seen belt clip types, and a number of different spring “clip on” types, so there unquestionably was some latitude in that area.

BTW: I would have to dig it out to be sure. But from memory, the scabbard on your second knife seems to be identical to one I have which is nice, but not quite as nice as yours showing some (minor) use.

Attached: Not the best of images for comparison purposes, but here is a 98K bayonet in a DAK/Tropical frog. And a grouping of Luftwaffe marked bayonet frogs (except for the early blue Luftwaffe tropical which is not visibly marked). Best Regards, FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast