MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

luftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz help

Article about: Hey I came across this luftwaffe dagger and I’m fairly new at collecting so I was wondering if someone could help me with this thing. Is it real or just a replica? any help is much appreciat

Default luftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz help

Hey I came across this luftwaffe dagger and I’m fairly new at collecting so I was wondering if someone could help me with this thing. Is it real or just a replica? any help is much appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement luftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz help
    P
    Many

Hello Matthew welcome to the forum. No issues IMHO. A good honest second model luft with portapee, minus the hanger set. There is a small amount of damage on the crossguard (on the reversd side above the makers logo) but there's worse ones out there. If the price is good a nice addition to a budding collection. Kindest regards.

Brian

Condition difference aside here's one for comparison

2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF

I concur with Brian,

Nice decent dagger and the bonus is the wire wrap around the handle.. In many cases this is missing..

Take a look at some of the other photos of how to wrap the cord/knot around the dagger if that is your choice...or leave it separate but with the dagger so the two don't spate from each other.. There looks to be a little fraying on the portapee and thus possibly the reason that it is not wrapped around the handle..

Congrats on a nice looking dagger..

Hangar sets are also out there to add to this one..

Smitty

It looks authentic to me!

Is there a Waffen Amt marking on the blade which should be just above the logo..or is the flash hiding it ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Maker mark looks off..... am I wrong in this assumption?

Details on the pommel, crossguard, and eagle are different as well. Overall everything looks weak.

Not my area of expertise so happy to be corrected

Here is mine. My photos are old and lousy but you can see the maker mark is much more crisp (and with the waffanamp) as well as the other differences I noted above.

2nd Model Luft - SMF
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An interesting twist. I honestly looked past there being a waffen amt stamping on SMF luft blades but it makes sense. Perhaps there is one hidden by the flash or it was a weak stamping...or the much worse alternative that it's a bad blade or parts dagger? I still think the other components look authentic handle, crossguard, pommel, and scabbard etc. Now are they authentic to SMF production I do not know but I am hoping to learn? Best regards. Here's some scree grabs from wittmans site for comparison. Best regards.

Brian

luftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz helpluftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz help

MAP
    ?

Brian,

I'm still not liking it....but happy if I am wrong.

Look at the OP'S last photo (of the cross guard). Compare the inconsistent thickness ( and sloppiness) of the wrap around smooth edge to the Whitman example (as well as mine and Gers)

Also look at the lack of pebbling on the pommel on Ger's, mine and this other one linked below vs Matthews example .

Another issue I have is the lack of the clearly defined angles on the blade compared to all the others.

2nd pattern Luftwaffe (SMF)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Here's a photo of mine:

And here's the thread on mine, but with a caveat: Never mind the member trying to sharp shoot about it having an Eickhorn scabbard. When I saw that I asked Tom Johnson and he assured me that is very feasible and plausible from the day it left the factory. Manufacturers in Solingen routinely shared parts and pieces with each other when one ran short of some component while trying to fulfill an order on time. Tom has invoices from the manufacturers to each other documenting the practice - (and no, he didn't sell me the dagger ).

Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger by SMF.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I'm with map on this .Certainly the wrong pommel (oak leaves ,acorns) makers mark looks some how thicker than mine (L touches the I ? ) Scabbard not SMF (covered by Todd) weak detail on the crossguard. Maybe a Friday afternoon parts bin dagger ? .I would personally leave this one alone (lots of textbook ones out there with no issues) Regards Paul.

luftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz helpluftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz helpluftwaffe dagger authentic or fake? plz help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast