Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?

Article about: Just returned from the local Saturday Morning flea-market. A coin collector showed up with a bag full of medals, insignia and this double -etched Luftwaffe Dagger complete with scabbard. He

?

Default Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?

Just returned from the local Saturday Morning flea-market. A coin collector showed up with a bag full of medals, insignia and this double -etched Luftwaffe Dagger complete with scabbard. He was mobbed by a group of military collectors, myself amongst them. I did manage to get some shots of the dagger, none of the scabbard. The pictures are not as good as I wanted, but the best I could get. The makers mark is on the blade couldn't get a clear shot of it. I wonder could members see from these not so good pictures, whether the piece is good or not ? None of the military collectors could give a definitive answer. Sorry about the picture quality, any information appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?   Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?  

Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?   Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?  

Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ? 
    Last edited by AlecH; 05-05-2012 at 12:29 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?
    P
    Many

Default re: Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?

It's a bad one matey

?

Alec , I think Ronnie has put it quite nicely, its a baddun

How can people tell this is fake.

By studying real ones - the one above is poorly made.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Noobkilla73 View Post
    How can people tell this is fake.
    Every time you ask this question, the experienced collectors will give you the same answer, "By studying original examples"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe Double-Etched Dagger - Original ?

Real originals are very hard to find these days, i keep myself far from them.
    There has been a post here about the technics they use now a days to make these " custom" blades.
    Before buying these expensive daggers make lots of high quality pics and post them here.
    If its a genuine one, the seller will have np to let you take pictures or even send you some good ones, he has nothing to fear.
    If there is in any way a pressure method used, like " time.... or more buyers..etc..... then turn your back...your about to be ripped.
    If the dagger is in the same price class as a normal one, then its for sure a post made edging.
    Collectors know how hard to find they are....and they centainly know the prices!

Cheers,
    Ger

?

Thanks everyone for the posts. I must admit a bit more detail with the posts as to why it was deemed a fake wouldn't have gone a rye. For Noobkilla 73 and others interested,I did find out some of the dagger faults - (1) the etching on the blade with the eagle standing on the swastika, the bottom third of the swastika is missing on a original dagger attention to detail was sharp this wouldn't be acceptable or allowed. (2) the makers stamp appears to be Clement Jung for a Luftwaffe dagger from this maker the name comes on one side on the other comes the shield symbol. On this dagger the name and shield come on the same side as was the Clement Jung practise on SA daggers and post war pieces, but not on war time Luftwaffe pieces. (3) Usually the eagle on the cross-guard with the open wings has sprigs under the wings this one has none. If anyone has spotted any-more faults, please post them we are all here to learn.
    Regards

Guys sometimes collectors wont give away all the faults in copy daggers, as the fakers also learn from these post's on how to perfect there trade and making it even harder to work out the good from the bad , so dont hold your breath too long in reply's
    best regards Ronnie

?

Ronnie - Sadly you may be right, although I do find the argument about informing the fakers a bit of a red herring, also what's the point of joining a particular forum if you aren't prepared to take part above the level of the one word post i.e. copy, fake, crap, etc, who can tell if you are serious collector with any depth of knowledge or a member who just likes racking up his number count without knowing or contributing much ? Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast