Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.

Article about: Sometimes your searching for something and you come by chance across a gem that has been on the wishlist for quite some years. Arriving just before Christmas its my pricvate present for unde

So would I be quite disappointed and I will deal with this swiftly..if certain tones of arrogance do not change. It's not necessary on this thread. I will chop this thread apart and remove posts soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.
    P
    Many

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Gents can we please stick to the subject, i highly appreciate the input that HPL2008 has on this thread.
    I also know that his translations are very accurate as my German is pretty well and my English aint that bad either.
    We are trying to sort out which organisation has issued these knives and i would pity it if HPL would leave this thread.

Regards
    Ger
    I'm completely in agreement. As Ger stated his accuracy is very good, and having wrestled a time or ten with some of the period script/lettering that was used that by itself is valuable. Plus his other input - I would not like to see HPL2008 leave the thread either. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    These new photos show some things that I had already suspected, and some things that I had not considered. The reflections inside the stampings on the blade do not show the age that you might normally expect on a fairly well used knife. But are not that unusual with a blade (only) that's plated or stainless steel. With the guard having the normal aging that you would expect of carbon steel, and the screws/spanner nuts on the grip not showing the green verdigris of nickel silver but instead may be plated(?). However it's the tang markings that are really what got my attention. They are definitely not like the average TR period Luftwaffe markings that I've seen. Instead they seem more modern. Is there anything that says that the knives cannot be multigenerational? Best Regards, Fred
    Fred if the organisation that issued these knives would have survived the war then it could be Multi generational, but imo that should had easen the question which organisation issued them: in that case owners could be alive and as far as i know non has been sold-advertised with that description.

btw: i asked the EBAY seller if he has a decent picture of the tang markings, that might clearify the type of stamp used, lets wait and see.

Ger

I'm in agreement, for example from the military side of collecting you can have Weimar and Imperial items that I'm going to call "hand me downs" that are TR marked right alongside the new manufacture items. Same item, same user, different time periods. Or on-going production with for example some Czech made items that are both prewar and German Army/Wehrmacht. Then postwar with the only really significant difference being the markings. Best Regards, Fred

That tang marking Ger is a unique find. I've never seen that on another W-L knife. I can't tell from the oblique angle whether the characters are letters or numbers, but the grouping is interesting. A group of four/dash/two/dash/one, such as xxxx-xx-x.
    That's how I see it, hopefully better images are found.

I'm also intrigued by the suggestion these knives could have been used post war buy some organization. That is the sort of lateral thinking we need to flush out the truth.

I think that Mac66 is on the right track with a combination of letters and numbers along with dashes and spaces. That being what I'm seeing, I hope that we get some better pictures to be certain of what is there and what it might mean. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    I think that Mac66 is on the right track with a combination of letters and numbers along with dashes and spaces. That being what I'm seeing, I hope that we get some better pictures to be certain of what is there and what it might mean. Best Regards, Fred
    A date?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A date?
    Ralph.
    Ralph, I think it's probably still more like a mystery now. Ger said it was an EBAY seller that he has asked for better pictures. Oftentimes in the descriptions they specify what the markings are, but apparently not in this instance. That's unfortunate given the fact that the seller had some fairly good pictures of the Ch.A.W. markings that were useful.

And sometimes I've had some luck by digitally modifying the images a little, but with this one not so much. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

?

I just had contact with the former owner of this knife who residents in Austria, he is in contact with the Vienna War Archieves trying to get info about his relatieve, the former recipient of this knife.
    He tries to found out what his exact military career was, which unit etc.
    Also the search for the "Soldbuch" has started.
    Will keep you updated on the results.

The ebay seller does not respond to my request for detailed pics or a description of the tangmarking.....

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 01-18-2018 at 02:39 PM.

I don't know how much help this will be in determining an outcome for the discussion, but a close copy (but not in all respects) of these knives has surfaced on another forum. Manufactured by Klaas, it looks to be carbon steel with a decorative type of personalization on the crossguard. Best Regards, Fred

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast