Luftwaffe Sword Scabbard ID or Opinions Please
Hi, I recently acquired a rather poor example of a LW sword. The blade is by ALCOSO and there are no tang markings. The pommel and other hilt fittings are very grubby, showing lots of wear and tear and appear to have been plated at some time in the past but are devoid of markings/stamps etc.
What is of particular interest to me though, is the scabbard. It is complete but in overall poor condition with steel fittings. The throat shows the remains of plating but the scabbard fittings, to include the suspension rings have all been painted black. The paint is enamel and appears to be contemporary with the age of the sword??
When I first received the sword, I was of the opinion that it was a shabby example of an original sword. Then the paint work and one or two other things rang a few bells even though wear and tear and overall condition shouted original??
Now the question. Can anyone out there tell me why the scabbard fittings have been painted black please??
Could any of these thoughts be an acceptable and logical reason?
1. A weapon used for funeral wear? As is the case with a black mourning arm band.
2. Reserved for parade practice? For example, I have a Royal Navy officer’s sword with a horrible black plastic covered scabbard and plain unadorned fittings, named to an RN naval base and used purly for ceremonial practice. I have also handled RAF practice swords which look like something out of a kindergarten.
3. A demonstration item? I have seen a number of British weapons stamped “DP” or “DP Only” (Demonstration Purposes) and some with white bands etc., painted on them.
4. For use by other than an Officer (trainee or escort etc., in a Colour Party). RAF Warrant Officer’s of the various bands and when acting as escorts to Squadron Standards and Queen’s Colours etc used to wear an officer’s pattern sword but with a black rather than white grip and plain scabbard. Also, RN WO’s wore a naval pattern sword but without a lion head pommel.
5. Painted by a Vet or his kids just for the hell of it?
6. Any other suggestions please???
Any opinions regardin g the sword or scabbard are more than wealcom.
Cheers Michael R
Photos to follow!!
08-11-2014 04:00 PM