Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Paratrooper gravity knife direct from vet

Article about: Hello sirs, I purchased this today direct from the German vet who carried it. This gentleman was with the 1st Parachute Division and he obtained the knife during the fighting at Monte Cassin

Default Paratrooper gravity knife direct from vet

Hello sirs,

I purchased this today direct from the German vet who carried it. This gentleman was with the 1st Parachute Division and he obtained the knife during the fighting at Monte Cassino when the original owner was killed. The original owner was "an old timer" and was involved in the assault on Fort Eben-Emael according to this man.

I had no real knowledge of these knives prior to today. Originally he was not interested in selling but eventually offered to sell it to me. He gave me a price and I agreed to it not knowing the value of the knife at all. He said he sold numerous other German items about four months ago..including his original camouflage/with wire paratrooper helmet. This knife he was keeping for himself but I think he could see how much I appreciated it and he felt that it was going to a good home.

He thought very highly of his items and his prices reflected that although a quick internet search tells me that I purchased the knife at a fair price.

I heard numerous stories about the war and he showed me pictures of himself during the war. There were things that he understandably wouldn't talk about but all in all it was a very nice day.

The "A" carved in the handle is the initial of the original owner. The numbers "937" are stamped in the well by the spike and "43" on the locking lever.

Any thoughts or information of this knife would be most appreciated.

Best,
    Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paratrooper gravity knife direct from vet
    P
    Many

It appears to be a nice original Paul Weyersberg take down model. Has just enough wear to say it's been there.
    Nice that it has what appears to be the original lanyard with it as well. You can't change the condition it is in so just keep it dry and it should stay like this forever.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

What a find with history no less.

MAP
    ?

Very nice and love the lanyard.

But I would REALLY like to see that helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you very much sirs.

Map, I would love to have seen the helmet too. He said that he was paid $6,000 for it. Far out of my price range but I probably would have bit the bullet and purchased it if he still had it.

I also obtained a flag that he said came from a U-Boat that was forced to the surface and shelled by a US ship. He purchased this flag and a heavy burlap type bag years after the war from a US sailor who boarded the submarine and retrieved the items.

MAP
    ?

Well, if in good condition, a legit camo w/wire M38 with true vet provenance would go for much much more than $6k.

Do you know this Vet?

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, I know these helmets can be very pricey. I would have paid up for it just for the history to go with it.

The man is an acquaintance of my father. I traveled 10 hours to visit my father and meet this guy.

MAP
    ?

Nice. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the old "Vet" came into a show scenario.

But I feel this guy might have been taken on the helmet....while he would not have gotten dealer prices, if in good condition, these are a holy grail type of M38 helmets people dream of....IMHO of course.

I understand. This guy is legit. My father has known him for years. We talked all day today, he showed me pictures of himself and his friends during the war. He told me some stories and explained things about the war to me.

I just recapped today's conversation with my father and he reminded me that he sold his personal helmet 10 or more years ago but sold several other helmets about four months ago.

Being 94 years old he was trying to sell items. He had loads of collectibles but his prices were very high. He has all of his faculties and is sharp as a tack. I don't think anyone was taking advantage of him so the 6K for the helmet may have been closer to fair when he sold it years ago.

MAP
    ?

whew...I just hate to see people being taken. I don't know what prices for these 10 years ago were but I guess it was a lot lower so good news.

If you can, write down as much as he is willing to tell you and keep it with the knife. The stories unfortunately are lost to time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast