Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking opinions on a Wingen first model Luftwaffe

Article about: I was hoping you guys could help me out again! Sorry for asking so many questions here. A seller is offering this dagger for \\$300, but there is no scabbard. I haven't tried to buy any edged

?

Default Seeking opinions on a Wingen first model Luftwaffe

I was hoping you guys could help me out again! Sorry for asking so many questions here. A seller is offering this dagger for $300, but there is no scabbard. I haven't tried to buy any edged weapons, so I don't know much about them. Would it be possible to get one, or would that actually cost more than the dagger itself? Here are the photos:

Seeking opinions on a Wingen first model LuftwaffeSeeking opinions on a Wingen first model LuftwaffeSeeking opinions on a Wingen first model LuftwaffeSeeking opinions on a Wingen first model LuftwaffeSeeking opinions on a Wingen first model Luftwaffe

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Seeking opinions on a Wingen first model Luftwaffe
    P
    Many

?

I also wanted to ask if the scabbards are different for these. For example, is the scabbard for a Wingen different from the scabbard for an Eickhorn? I wouldn't be interested in the dagger if the addition of a scabbard wouldn't 'complete' it.

Hi Erno...scabbards do vary from maker to maker...the issue is...that if you try to put a different scabbard on another producers blade...you might have a tighter fit..or just the opposite. The runner springs inside vary with a different tightness...which the dagger may not seat well on the throat opening. Your example is of an early variety with nickel fittings....which any type of 1st Luft scabbards..whether Nickel fitting or aluminum are extremely hard to find. Most likely the scabbard in this instance....if you were to find one..would cost more that the price of the dagger. Some of these 1st Lufts now run well over the $1100....depending upon condition. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Erno...scabbards do vary from maker to maker...the issue is...that if you try to put a different scabbard on another producers blade...you might have a tighter fit..or just the opposite. The runner springs inside vary with a different tightness...which the dagger may not seat well on the throat opening. Your example is of an early variety with nickel fittings....which any type of 1st Luft scabbards..whether Nickel fitting or aluminum are extremely hard to find. Most likely the scabbard in this instance....if you were to find one..would cost more that the price of the dagger. Some of these 1st Lufts now run well over the $1100....depending upon condition. Regards Larry
    Thanks Mr. C!

I will pass on this dagger, because I'd rather have one with the matching scabbard. If anyone is interested in it for $300 (they may take less), let me know and I'll put you in touch with the seller.

There may be a unit marking under that crossguard from what I see but the tip of the blade looks nearly gone, not worth much IMO if it was a bit nicer then searching for a scabbard may be worth it. But you can still find a good deal on a complete one if you look hard and have patience, it will come along:-)

?

Thank you, Maximus! I do want a first model Luftwaffe dagger, but I want it to be a nice one. Edged weapons are something that I don't usually go for, but the design of the first model Luft is quite striking. It's a great use of the sun wheel-type swastika.

?

Its a pity this one comes without a scabbard and missing tip.
    It has the typical Wingen sunwheels with the medallion insert type.
    Here a few shots of a nice complete one.
    Cheers,
    Ger
    Seeking opinions on a Wingen first model LuftwaffeSeeking opinions on a Wingen first model Luftwaffe

Finding a matching scabbard that is complete and in good order would kick the price up on this dagger to almost full value-add the portapee and you may as well simply buy a complete one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Original, but unfortunately hevy cleaned.

Regards
    Vedran

?

Thanks for the input! I noticed the cleaning, but I can live with that when it comes to edged weapons. I have a number of them (mostly American) and most have been cleaned at some point. I think that was considered more acceptable in decades past. Of course, it would be nicer to have an uncleaned one!

Anyway, I've passed on this but have put another forum member in contact with the seller. He may be able to get a good deal!