Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Short Luftwaffe Etched Bayonet

Article about: bichon: You are correct about the German and the pharsi 'zur Erinnerung...' is used on most dedication etches (see book), but this pattern by Holler, used on WKC marked bayonets only uses 'E

?

Default Re: Short Luftwaffe Etched Bayonet

bichon:

You are correct about the German and the pharsi 'zur Erinnerung...' is used on most dedication etches (see book), but this pattern by Holler, used on WKC marked bayonets only uses 'Erinnerungen..'. You can see your etch on page 235 of Wayne's book and see the same pattern etch on page 179, 71, 100, 197 on different makers.

I would guess that this is because of lack of space ... the etch pattern and the way the writing is extends across the width of the etch.

John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Short Luftwaffe Etched Bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Hello John
    Thanks
    so, a Paul Seilheimer dress bayonet with the same engraving as WKC is a fake, OK ?
    cordially
    Didier

?

No... Paul Seilheimer bought their etches from Holler, and a picture of their catalogue on page 202 of Wayne's book shows this etch pattern as one that they were selling, although the one in the catalogue has the army eagle in the centre and the one you show has a Luftwaffe eagle.

I would guess that the most commonly found version of the Luft etch is on WKC, then Holler. Seilheimer versions would be scarce in Wayne's terminology.

John

?

two pictures (not very good) sorry
    Didier

The German word "Erinnerungen" is misspelled "Erinnerungan"...leading me to the conclusion that this is a fake done by someone who is not fluent in German...
    cheers, Glenn

- - Updated - -

?

Glenn:

If you look at examples in the book by Wayne Techet, all of them spell it as 'Errinerungan', even the one pictured ih the Seilheimer period catalogue. So, I have no issue at all with the etch pattern itself.

The one by Seilheimer has pictures that are not very revealing, I would want a better look at the etch since the Tm used is not one that I have seen before.. the two that I have seen on etched bayonets and on military daggers are the intertwined PS in oval and the dog with sword in teeth.

John

Sorry, but to a German speaker this misspelling is glaring...Perhaps some of our other German-speakers will come along to confirm...
    cheers, Glenn

The etch in question was seen and ok'd by Wayne, so I have no issues with it

I now see my error...it's actually two words..."Erinnerung an"...I was reading the words as one as they are so close together...
    cheers, Glenn

?

another one, may be ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast