Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration

Article about: Hi all- this is my first post. Thanks for making this site such a wealth of knowledge. It has been very informative. I have here what i believe to be a take down Luftwaffe gravity knife. I b

Jamestaglienti
    ?

Default Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration

Hi all- this is my first post. Thanks for making this site such a wealth of knowledge. It has been very informative.
    I have here what i believe to be a take down Luftwaffe gravity knife. I bought it at auction about a year ago. The steel is rusty in places and has some light pitting here and there. The knife is undamaged save for a crack next to the take down button. I have not dismantled it. Should I clean the rust or leave it alone? I collect antique tools and have become pretty good at cleaning valuables made of steel and wood. I usually leave the majority of the patina and just remove the rust blooms, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew specifically who made these knives, and what your opinion of the value of this particular knife is? It is all steel except for one pin and one rivet which are stainless. I think they're original, maybe just a factory mix up? I was thinking of selling it at some point but first I want to get all the information I can, mostly out of curiosity over such a neat weapon / tool.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration   Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration  

Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration   Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration  

Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration  
    Last edited by Jamestaglienti; 06-20-2011 at 02:38 AM.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration

It looks original to me, with nice markings, as for cleaning, i would leave it alone, no matter how experienced you might be, any type of cleaning on blades to remove minute rust blooms will ruin the knife and the value, i would however give the working parts a light oiling as well as the blade and wipe clean with a cloth,avoiding the wooden handles, these i would wipe over with a light covering of linseed oil, and again wipe clean

Default Re: Take down Luftwaffe gravity knife opinions on condition and restoration

i agree with dave. Cleaning doesnt make the knife better.
    Also do not try to take it apart! these knives are imposseble to put back together. there where two models made one put together by the factory and one with a removable troath assembly (these you could take apart).
    if i am correct the only makers i have seen are paul weyersburg and SMF solingen.

greetings,
    Eddy

Quote by lightyone View Post
    i agree with dave. Cleaning doesnt make the knife better.
    Also do not try to take it apart! these knives are imposseble to put back together. there where two models made one put together by the factory and one with a removable troath assembly (these you could take apart).
    if i am correct the only makers i have seen are paul weyersburg and SMF solingen.

greetings,
    Eddy
    There was also an 'unknown maker' there's an example for sale here Luftwaffe Daggers 8th one down, that has the same stylized waffenampt eagle and no.5 stamped on the awl.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.