Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM

Article about: the story goes that they started out as 6" barrels but were cut down for use with boarding partys and on uboats (cramped confined areas) its a beuty of a gun thought and as stated can f

Default Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM

This 1917 navy is coming up for sale out of the same estate that I posted the two WWII lugers about a month and half ago, I kind of broke the bank on those. I was wanting to know what you guys would value this pistol at. It comes with the holster as seen in the pictures it has no marking that I could find, it has a non matching wwii magazine. It has the take down tool in holster. Not sure if the rest of the numbers on gun match as you can see in the photos the side plate is marked 32 and the toggle is marked 100. Any opinions on value are appreciated? Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM   Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM  

Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM   Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM  

Default Re: Need help with value on this WWI 1917 Navy Luger DWM

Without being able to see beneath the barrel, etc. it is, of course, impossible to tell if the serial numbers match on this piece. More photos would be needed. But, I can tell you this- If you grip the checkered grip pad by the toggle and pull the rear site back and out abit, you will see the number "200" appear. The "100" that you see by the sight signifies that it is in the 100 yard presighted range setting. (This is a dual range sighted piece)This is the two-position (100-200m) sight on the rear toggle link of the Naval Lugers.
    IF this Luger is all matching and in proper order, as it Seems to be, it is a fairly desirable and valuable animal. A correct Naval magazine could be procured, naturally. The holster (is it Navy marked?)has definitely seen better days, but it retains it's tool, so that is good. I hesitate to name a specific value, as a WWI dated German Naval Luger in holster and all matching can easily pass 5-6 grand or more in value, but these guns come in a bewildering number of varieties and their values are All over the map. Not a lot of help, I know, but it's always best to be cautious with Lugers. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I can not see any indication that this is a Navy Luger, does it have Navy proofs?
    Best
    Gus

Gus, Aside from the 100-200m Naval site, it's marked with the twin crowns over the M's on the frame near the barrel over the locking lever on the left. Enlarge the 2nd pic and you'll see them better. It's a nice Luger...I could quite easily be persuaded to accept it.. William
    William

Oh yes, a bit of enlargement helped my old eyes.
    Best
    Gus

Nice Luger, Robert... What bothers me is the barrel though...Looks like it's bobbed and a front sight fitted...But maybe i'm wrong then...Can another forum member help out on this ? I also think that a Naval Luger magazine has concetric rings wooden base piece.
    Regards, Thanos.

ian
    ?

Quote by COLT 1911A1 View Post
    Nice Luger, Robert... What bothers me is the barrel though...Looks like it's bobbed and a front sight fitted...But maybe i'm wrong then...Can another forum member help out on this ? I also think that a Naval Luger magazine has concetric rings wooden base piece.
    Regards, Thanos.
    i think you mabe right about the barrel ,,i think it has been shortend at some time in it life
    cheers ian

Shoudnt the navy luger have the 6 inch barrel, it looks as tho this has been shortened to me.....

Am thinking you're right-the barrel does look shortened. Oddly enough, it seems to me that I remember years ago something about how alot of the Navy men would have this done, but I don't remember why or the particulars on the process. It looks to have been altered to the Army length barrel size of 4 inch. Interesting variation! William
    William

Is there any chance these ww1 navy lugers were reissued to the army....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast