Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1917 DWM Luger

Article about: I recently aquired a 1917 DWM Luger with all matching numbers. The magazine is aftermarket junk. I know nothing about Lugers and would appreciate some help with the history on this one. (WWI

Default 1917 DWM Luger

I recently aquired a 1917 DWM Luger with all matching numbers. The magazine is aftermarket junk. I know nothing about Lugers and would appreciate some help with the history on this one. (WWI,WWII use?) I have visited several websites for info but ran into brain overload. Hopefully there are some members here who can tell me something from their personal knowledge. I will be showing it to several thousand folks this year and like to sound like I have a clue about what I am displaying when they ask questions.

Thanks

Burt
    1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger1917 DWM Luger

Default Re: 1917 DWM Luger

The proof marks (crown M)are a 1917 navy luger. but unfortunately,a correct navy luger would have a 6" barrel with a very unique adjustable rear sight on the rear of the toggle.she is refinished. also it would have had wood grips originally and the safety lever,ejector, lock bolt,trigger and mag release should be strawed and not blued.

somekind of rebuild is all i can think of? whether it was done for resale or imported at one time I cant tell

for display purposes you could list it as a WWI 1917 DWM Luger,I guess.........

Thankyou 450. It will serve the purpose of having a Luger in my next display. Too bad it wasn't all 100%.

Burt

she still is a cool luger, which will be a subject of curiousity in the museum, much like they have always been!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for your help Mike,

Ever since they came out with video games for WWII, the kids ask me about every WWII weapon there is. I constantly get a lot of flak for not having a Luger. Now I'm ready for the little video gaming rug rats

Thanks

Burt

Burt

Some Navy lugers were converted to a shorter barrelled form in the Weimar era and were also refinished.

The HZa marking is for Heeres Zeugamt [ Army weapons depot] which had some involvement in the conversions.

If you need some further comments, it might be worth posting your photos on Jan C Still Luger Pistols Central Powers Axis Pistols Discussion Boards From Gunboards.com where there are lot of Luger collectors.

Regards

Richie

A post war Army converted Navy, was my thoughts too. A shame it's not in it's original configuration, of course, but still is a decent piece with respectable value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You have a Luger, Burt, and even though it's not in the form as it left the factory, it still is a marvel of mechanics and a part of history itself. A nice pair of wooden grips would improve the looks. If you'd like to go a step further in the looks and "originality" department, you could ad current production mag with black plastic concentric rings bottom.
    Best, Thanos.

Thanks Richie, William and Thanos for your comments. The magazine bugs me the most. I'll start with that and go from there. I'll also try the link to see what they have to say.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Thanks for your help Mike,

Ever since they came out with video games for WWII, the kids ask me about every WWII weapon there is. I constantly get a lot of flak for not having a Luger. Now I'm ready for the little video gaming rug rats

Thanks

Burt
    Ha,Ha,Ha!funny you mention that.......I am guilty of playing with my son and his friends,now and then. its rather amazing what war games have done for gun collecting through out the years. I often show the kids a few items, inregards to whats currently being played.

Back to your luger. I would definitely suggest showing it on Still's forum as suggested. I would love to hear what they think about it. I also would get the right grips and its rather easy to correct the blued parts back to the straw finish too.

also,if they are not repos, it will be interesting what they have to say about those rather neat black WWII grips