Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1940 byf - should I return it?

Article about: I'm a Luger newbie and am uncertain about this Luger I saw at a shop. I was able to take it home for further inspection and decided I should return it. It is a byf 1940 and all visible seria

?

Default 1940 byf - should I return it?

I'm a Luger newbie and am uncertain about this Luger I saw at a shop. I was able to take it home for further inspection and decided I should return it. It is a byf 1940 and all visible serial numbers (#201) match. I took the side plate off and did not find a serial number on the trigger. In fact, it looked like it may have been filed off. Attached are photos of serial numbers and other marks. If the Luger is not legit, I would like to explain why I want to return it. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 byf - should I return it?   1940 byf - should I return it?  

1940 byf - should I return it?   1940 byf - should I return it?  

1940 byf - should I return it?   1940 byf - should I return it?  

1940 byf - should I return it?  
    Attached Images Attached Images 1940 byf - should I return it? 

Hello,

In 1940 Mauser used the code 42. They didn't start to use the code byf until mid 1941.

Jonathan.

Going off what Jonathan has said, this may be a 'parts gun' reassembled from multiple different pistols, with new serial numbers then applied. Is there an 'X' visible anywhere on it? I don't know if the Russians captured and reassembled Lugers as they did with rifles and P38's, but if there's an X present that may explain the reason for the mismatch.

Regards, B.B.

Have done some quick research, and Russian captured Lugers almost always had the 'X' on the left side between the side plate and the barrel. I suppose that's not what's going on here, but it could easily have been reassembled and renumbered by anyone in the last 70+ years.

Regards, B.B.

Should you return it? It depends on how much you paid, if it was inexpensive keep it.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Agree with tank destroyer. Matching unmolested examples going for BIG bucks! If price was fairly reasonable I would hold onto it even if it has issues.

?

Thanks for the responses. Could not find an "X" on it. I traded about $2K worth of stuff for it. I was told it was used by the SS.

Sorry to tell you that you paid to much. I just saw an all matching with holster sell for 1550.00.

But if you traded for the pistol hopefully you did not have 2000.00 in the other items, if so you may come out ok.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Like was said depends on how much you had in the trade items.

Wonder how they know it was used by the SS?Anyway I wouldnt want to have over 1k in it tops.JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast