Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger

Article about: Here is the finest example of a Luger that I have had the priveledge of owning. This is a 100% matching number example, including the firing pin, magazine and grips. To the best of my knowle

Arrow 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger

Here is the finest example of a Luger that I have had the priveledge of owning. This is a 100% matching number example, including the firing pin, magazine and grips. To the best of my knowledge, the unit marking on the front strap denotes a Dragoon Unit, and I believe the "St." denotes Stabs Wache or Staff Guard - indeed very rare. The piece has never been refinished.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger

Front strap marking, this would have been done at the unit level - not at the factory.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Left and right side views.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger   1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Close shot of the grip.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The rail on the backstrap was for the attachment of a shoulder stock, which also doubled as the holster. This one shows no evidence of having had one locked into the channel.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Top of the extractor, the "DWM" logo. The white in the recesses is only white wax, and can be easily removed with gun oil, it is not permanent and only helps to show the numbers when photographing.

You will note than in this photo and in the following photos, you will see little "halos" or ghosting around the numbers. This is a clear indicator that the gun has NOT been refinished as these were stamped in after the gun received it's factory blueing. The force of the stamp actually disrupts the surface and builds a small burm at the outer edges of the punch.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Barrel serial number. Luger numbered their weapons from 1-10,000 then 10000a, and so on. This Luger is #10,977 and was produced in April or May of 1914-I believe. Luger produced 3,000 each month to fulfill contract obligations.

The 8,82 denotes the "actual" inside barrel diameter... it is a 9mm. The "Bo" denotes that this was made from Bohler Steel from Austria...only the early ones have this stamping.

The "30" denotes the hardness on the Rockwell scale.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Right and left grip panels (inside). Note stampings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger   1914 DWM P-08 Unit Marked Luger  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last one.

Bottom of magazine.

Of interest: these wooden bottoms were made from discarded or damaged rifle stocks, hence the difference in color from the grips.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

God Steve... That thing is absolutely beautiful! Rare simply doesn't cover this one and now I see why your so attached to this little gem!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast