Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice regarding a snaildrum for a Luger

Article about: I have been offered an original 1st pattern snail drum for a Luger... sorry no pics at this time. Its 100% original for sure, but it has what I would call the extending rod missing on the wi

Default Advice regarding a snaildrum for a Luger

I have been offered an original 1st pattern snail drum for a Luger... sorry no pics at this time. Its 100% original for sure, but it has what I would call the extending rod missing on the winding handle. So I need a little guidance as to what you may think its worth without this piece.... original for sure, good condtion but minus the part. Sorry if this sounds a bit vague but I am sure those who have one of these drums know what I am trying to get at. Any help is appreciated. And if anyone has one of these extending rods just rolling around in a draw please let me know.
    All the best,
    D.

?

Good luck in finding the winder handle. If you do find one the snail drums go for $1500 US in nice condition. However they are a bear to load and can easily unwind if you are not careful until you rach the lock position and do some damage if your hand is in the way. Then you will need a drum loader which can cost you in the $800 US range or a repro if you can find one.

Hi Samnev,
    I guessed as much, both with the price and the chances of finding the missing part of the winding handle. Well, I will have a good look at the snail drum and perhaps give it a go loading it and see what happens. The price must reflect the missing piece which for me would always be a niggle anyway.
    All the best,
    D.

?

My two cents is that junk will always be junk. Im not ragging on your drum mag, im only saying that it will always be how it is when you buy it. I'd say wait for another in better condition

?

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi Samnev,
    I guessed as much, both with the price and the chances of finding the missing part of the winding handle. Well, I will have a good look at the snail drum and perhaps give it a go loading it and see what happens. The price must reflect the missing piece which for me would always be a niggle anyway.
    All the best,
    D.
    Just be very careful. They are hard enough to wind with the handle. If it was mine I wouldn't try to load it. I had mine snap back on me and just manage to get my hand out of the way. The spring is so strong I was afraid I would have lost a finger or two if the winder had hit me. by the way do you have a loader?
    Regards,
    Sam

Hi Pyro,
    You hit the nail on the head, I already have a niggle with the part being missing and as you say it will always be what it is....not what I want it to be. And to answer you Samnev, no I don't have a loader. Again that not something that has come my way.
    D.

?

Just some advice a mentor gave me a long time ago D.

And I am sure it has served you well. I think my initial interest in the drum is waning. Which is partly done to you and the wise words of your mentor and the niggle that I had from the beginning.
    Cheers, all the best,
    D.