Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

BYF 41 or 42?

Article about: Hello Recently I bought a black widow byf 41 all matching with 75-80% finish left for \\$1600. I wasn't happy with the finish condition as a good amount of bare metal was showing on the grip a

Default BYF 41 or 42?

Hello

Recently I bought a black widow byf 41 all matching with 75-80% finish left for $1600. I wasn't happy with the finish condition as a good amount of bare metal was showing on the grip and to the left of the side plate and on the end of the barrel I actually couldn't sleep thinking about how rough it was finish wise (even tho very good mechanically and the barrel looked great) The very nice gentleman who I had bought it from had said when I was first meeting him to look at that if I changed my mind in a few days I could sell it back to him for what I paid for it. I did sell it back to him and am now looking for a 95% or better all matching BYF code 41 or 42.

Are the byf's made in 42 of lesser quality kinda like k98 Mausers got rougher and rougher later in the war??

What price would be reasonable for a 95% or above all matching byf 41 or 42? I know black widows tend to be more expensive but i dont mind the wood grips either so that doesn't matter as much to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been collecting k98 mausers for years and wish I knew what I know now when I first started because I was burned once or twice over the years.

Thank you all for the help...

MAP
    ?

Welcome Waffenamt to WRF. A little patience and someone will be along shortly. We have a number of members here who have nice Luger collections and can provide you with advice.

Note however that we typically shy away from providing pricing and focus on authentication but maybe they can provide some guidance.

Regards,

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

More BYF 42s were made than 41s so they are worth slightly less in the same condition-no dip in quality as that doesn't start till 1943 for German weapons as things started to go catastrophically bad for them and production had to be sped up and made more economical-one major reason for dropping the P08 from mass production!
    The country you're in will also influence things as well.

?

Hello
    Thanks for the post, I picked up this one 1942 full rig with matching holster 1 year ago $2400 USD I have seen a few made in 41 & 42 in really good condition!

Curt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BYF 41 or 42?  

Also worth noting if you wish a byf42 to have been used by the German military that the serial should be no higher than
    a 'm' suffix as this is when the German military contract ended. Those made after were for foreign contracts, (Portugal and Bulgaria)

Jonathan.