Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Having Luger Troubles

Article about: Hello Everyone: I ordered a Luger in for a friend off of gunbroker and it came a bit dirty, some rust and what not but I cleaned it all up for him. But, I never fired it before I gave it to

Default Having Luger Troubles

Hello Everyone:

I ordered a Luger in for a friend off of gunbroker and it came a bit dirty, some rust and what not but I cleaned it all up for him.
    But, I never fired it before I gave it to him. Hes got a DWM 1937, russian capture.

The problem is that it is not recocking after cycling another round and it is destroying brass when it does fire.

Anyone have any theories? I thought maybe the main spring needs to be replaced.

Thanks
    Cody

Default Re: Having Luger Troubles

Check the main spring housing and see if any old grease or dirt is present. Some of the Russian Imports had so much old grease in them they would not let them cycle all the way, so they would recock. I had one that had some grease in it and it was so old it turned white and was like clay. I would suggest a total take down to the frame and cleaned. Do you have an automotive parts washer. These work well. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER OR CARB CLEANER. It is too hard on them. After complete take down and cleaning I would use A good firearms lube. I use Break free. Lub. Our militray still uses it. Military Designation is CLP. These guns are Finicky.
    Hope this helps.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks John!
    I did put the luger in a parts washer, but not for to long. Just did a quick scrub down. Hes about 5 hours away now, so I have to describe to him what to do. I think I'll have him use some CLP on the mainspring housing. and See if that works.

Thanks again!
    Cody

If he has any more trouble. let me know and we can go to step 2.
    Have a great day.

John

Another frequent problem encountered with Lugers-especially on recaptures-are Magazine troubles. Try replacing the clip with another that's known to function well. The lips on some of these magazines are just that tiny bit deformed or out of shape and will not feed properly.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks William and John.

I'll see if that worked for him in a while. Whats step 2 for future reference?

Step 2 with be checking parts and what ammo he is shooting in it.
    parts will be magazine, springs, the chamber etc. Ammo may play a factor in this. some of it is junk.
    We can go from there.
    John