MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Inherited 1936 P08, looking for info

Article about: My grandfather brought back a 1936 P08 from the war with him and since then it has just been sitting in a drawer, other than the times we snuck it out to play with it as kids. Since his rece

Default Inherited 1936 P08, looking for info

My grandfather brought back a 1936 P08 from the war with him and since then it has just been sitting in a drawer, other than the times we snuck it out to play with it as kids. Since his recent death I've been looking into the value and have really started to get into some of the story behind it. Any info you can provide about the gun or its value would be much appreciated. I'm posting what seem to be the important shots based off what I've seen for other guns being identified; let me know if there any additional pictures that would help.

All serial numbers appear to be matching including the mag, although I have an extra mag with it as well. I'm not sure where to look for the complete serial number. I was told it should be underneath the barrel but it doesn't appear to be, at least to my untrained eye.

Inherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for infoInherited 1936 P08, looking for info

Looks like its in good condition still, nice find

You are a lucky fellow! It's not just a run-of-the-mill Mauser S/42 dated 1936, it's a Krieghoff 1936 made for the Luftwaffe. It's worth at least three times what a 1936 Mauser would bring. With the matching magazine it might bring just under $10,000 retail. If it's a correct Krieghoff (Eagle/2) holster, the leather would bring well over $500. If it has a Krieghoff loading tool, it would be worth about $600.

Very nice Luger, very nice indeed
    Ben

nice set.

MAP
    ?

Trevor,

Beautiful momento from your grandfather. He had a good eye!

I see that on the inside of the holster there are some marking. One appear to be 4215 and another which appear to be a name or initials.

Per Habicht's reply, can you supply some better pictures of the holster? I'm sure there are some markings on the backside that would help identify it.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for all the input so far guys, happy to find out it's a special piece. I'll try to get some better pictures of the holster when I get home today and post them. He left us with a fair amount of items from the war (including a Nazi flag that is going to stay locked up until I figure out what to do with it) so if I did decide to sell this piece in the near future, any advice on how to go about doing that (e.g. using online auctioneer, selling to a collector's store)?

?

Quote by habicht View Post
    You are a lucky fellow! It's not just a run-of-the-mill Mauser S/42 dated 1936, it's a Krieghoff 1936 made for the Luftwaffe. It's worth at least three times what a 1936 Mauser would bring. With the matching magazine it might bring just under $10,000 retail. If it's a correct Krieghoff (Eagle/2) holster, the leather would bring well over $500. If it has a Krieghoff loading tool, it would be worth about $600.
    TrevorW
    I hope you understand that a members thoughts on value are NOT an Official Appraisal nor is it sanctioned by War Relics Forum as such. It is just a personal opinion by a member.

Hi Trevor, welcome to the forum, you certainly made a good entrance.
    All the parts to you Pistol should have the same serial number, this was a state of engineering at the time. It was the first choice of any soldier and was widely used by the SS as they had all the best weapons. It sometimes jammed due to battlefield dust, so they re-designed the Holster so it was practically dust and water proof. All things related to this pistol is of the highest quality.

Your grand farther was lucky he never got caught by the German MP's, they would just shoot out of hand anybody with one of these pistols on their persons. This did put a lot of soldiers off to owning one in War time.

I doubt very much that you would trouble selling this, you could sell it via the classifieds on this forum.
    Thanks for showing,

Regards SK

1. A superb and highly collectable Krieghoff. Very desirable-particularly in matching order with original holster and tools.
    2. Is it still fire-able or has it been neutered?
    3. Are fire arms-especially live ones- allowed to be sold here in the Classifieds?
    4. Which country are you located in?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast