Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Luger P08 - byf 42

Article about: Hello folks. There comes a time in every militaria collector's life where he finally lands that prized catch, that item he's been after for seemingly forever. And there's no feeling quite li

Quote by severin View Post
    As they were made in Aug/Sept with the given serial number range I would safely say yours would be September.

Jonathan.
    Thank you for all the help. It's nice to be able to narrow it down to the month rather than just the year.

B.B.

By 1943 production of the P38 and other 9mm Parabellum pistols, the Radom and FN Browning P35, were in full swing and the Mauser Lugers were surplus to immediate requirements so were supplied to Portugal and Bulgaria (4,000 and 5,600 odd respectively)-the Bulgarians were active German allies and the Germans were keen to maintain influence with the Portuguese who had a very strategic position on the Atlantic coast as well as a position as a neutral power sympathetic to them.

I'm learning a little more every day. And unlike the little history I learnt in school, I'm remembering most of it! The more I know, the more I seem to enjoy the hobby in its entirety. Thanks to all of you for providing me with so much in-depth information.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Am slightly disappointed to hear that, actually. I know it's still a German-made Luger, but knowing it didn't give service in its home country puts a bit of a damper on it. Guess that would explain its near-perfect condition, though. What are the chances that it never left Germany? I've read here and there about Portuguese contract K98's that ended up being diverted for use in the Wehrmacht. Is there any chance the same thing may have happened with P08's as well?

B.B.
    I believe you are correct when you said some Portuguese contract K98s ended up in Wehrmacht service. A good friend of mine runs a antique weapon shop here in Texas, and he gets some VERY interesting pieces in. About 3-4 weeks ago he got in a few Russian captured K98 rifles. Among the group of K98s, one was a Portuguese contract. It had the Portuguese crest on the receiver, and it also had Waffenamt eagles with swastikas. It was definitely a Russian capture, so id say its safe to assume some of these contract rifles ended up in Wehrmacht service at some point. That rifle had a hefty price tag, and it actually sold pretty quick.

As for your Luger, I would assume the same thing could have happened. If a small amount of Portuguese contract K98s ended up in German service, I dont see why some Luger's didn't either. JMO

Best regards- Jarret

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4