Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luger P08 - byf 42

Article about: Hello folks. There comes a time in every militaria collector's life where he finally lands that prized catch, that item he's been after for seemingly forever. And there's no feeling quite li

Default Luger P08 - byf 42

Hello folks.

There comes a time in every militaria collector's life where he finally lands that prized catch, that item he's been after for seemingly forever. And there's no feeling quite like it. Finally holding in your hands that item you've wanted for an age. For me, that time is today.

I present the new crown jewel of my deact collection: A 1942-dated P08 Luger, manufactured by Mauser. All numbers matching minus the magazine.

Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42

They refer to these pistols as the Rolls Royce of handguns, and in-hand I can see why. The workmanship is incredible, especially considering this one is a mid-war piece. As stated previously, it's all-matching. The only wear appears to have been caused by drawing it in and out of a holster, and so I don't think this one saw much hard combat. Looking at it, I really don't mind. I note that the serial number is in the 'm' block, which I understand as being the last batch issued to the Wehrmacht before the focus switched to manufacturing for foreign export.

And now for the bad news. Yes, it's an EU-spec deact. I apologise profusely to any American forum members, as this one has been well and truly neutered. Takedown lever is pinned, although it's been done in a much more discreet way when compared to my P38. The cut on the underside of the barrel is visible, as are the simply hideous deactivation markings. Also, probably as a result of the pin across the top of the magazine well, the toggle lock doesn't hold open as it should. I'm not familiar enough with the mechanism to know if there's a way to lock the slide open manually.

But it's still a Luger, and it's very much all there. This is one I've been after since I started collecting, another item off my bucket list, and something I'm very proud to be able to own. These really are iconic pistols, and once you hold one in your hands, you understand why.

Luger P08 - byf 42

Regards, B.B.

Beautiful luger. Great find, congratulations. Besides Walther P.38 it is the best looking pistol ever produced. Absolutely iconic.

Best regards,
    Franko

Quote by Franjo Vuk View Post
    Beautiful luger. Great find, congratulations. Besides Walther P.38 it is the best looking pistol ever produced. Absolutely iconic.

Best regards,
    Franko
    It's nice to have both, even if they are deactivated. Makes it easier to show people how technology progressed and improved through the course of the war.

B.B.

Great pistol. I am selling some of my collection to fund a nice black widow Luger. I know what they sell for in the US, what are prices like for a deactivated one in the UK? I am not asking exact price, but any percentage of what a deact would cost in the US?

From a man who likes lugers. You have a great looking luger there my friend. This looks like a great center piece for any collection.
    Thanks for sharing.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Although I don't collect deacts, if I did I would probably start here - stunning gun, it really is iconic.
    And again - really well presented.
    Nick

Quote by nbushyager View Post
    Great pistol. I am selling some of my collection to fund a nice black widow Luger. I know what they sell for in the US, what are prices like for a deactivated one in the UK? I am not asking exact price, but any percentage of what a deact would cost in the US?
    It's my understanding that the 'Black Widow' Luger is nothing more than a marketing ploy. As I understand it, they were fitted with black grips as an economic measure. A gentleman who imported a quantity of them into the US invented the 'Black Widow' moniker to drive sales. Doesn't make them any less aesthetically pleasing, but does give some dealers an excuse to drive up the price.

As for the price of deact Lugers, this one set me back just over £1100, which is about what you'll pay for a good matching example. Non-matching ones can be had for significantly less.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. This is one piece I'll cherish above all else, second only to the stuff that came from my own family.

B.B.

Very nice sidearm, but here in the states it saddens us we we hear the word deactivate.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Very nice sidearm, but here in the states it saddens us we we hear the word deactivate.
    Marty
    It's a word that saddens me too. If I could collect these firearms in live firing condition, I would. Unfortunately, the UK stands where it does in regards to the law, and is very unlikely to change. I feel grateful that I can own these things in any condition, although I'd prefer them to remain unmolested.

B.B.

Well done BB. That's probably "as good as it gets" in the de-activated UK.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast