Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luger question

Article about: Just a question ref lugers chaps, just looking around the sites like you do and I saw this one. Nice Artillery luger in good nick and for under £1000. Is it cheaper because it has been refur

Default Luger question

Just a question ref lugers chaps, just looking around the sites like you do and I saw this one. Nice Artillery luger in good nick and for under £1000. Is it cheaper because it has been refurbished or it is a WW2 dated luger? The average price for these on sites is £1450. Any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luger question   Luger question  

Luger question   Luger question  

Luger question  
    Ben

Definetly WW2 rework Ben IMO I had a friend that had one like this in a WW1 artilery rig with a Luftwaffe Proof Eagle over 5 they were fairly accurate with a shoulder stock. In reference to your quetion here in USA while I was doing GS in the late 70's actually one reworked for WW2 was much higher. That one looks like it was put on a WW2 Lugar frame always the chance someone put a artillery barrell on a WW2 frame this is always hard to say but there were ww2 reworks of these pieces. Usually though you find them in the ww1 configuration just my two cents. timothy

Cheers Timothy, so in effect it could be a made op mix n match so to speak! Very interesting and all new to me. I have also seen variations in the barrel lengths, 4" standard, 6" for KM and 8" for Artillery? Also then I am presuming they did not make arty lugers during the TR period?
    Ben

This looks like a Refurbished navy long barrel. The Artillery model has an adjustable sight on the rear of the barrel and an adjustable front sight. Looks like an S/42 re-barrel. It has Definitely been re-blued. It does look like the work was done in this century, So with that said. In my opinion this luger was redone and re-barreled with in the last 20 years. Ben is there any markings under the barrel?
    Hope this helps,
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Hi John, not really sure mate, theres none on the website pictures, so really its cheap beacause its been redone? I would not buy it personally just trying to learn about them
    Ben

Yes Ben. You are right. Cheap because it has been redone in my opinion.
    It must have been in bad shape. They polished the hell out of it. The extractor and sear should not be polished out to bare metal or chromed. I hope all this helps.

John

Yes John, certainly does, maybe this was done to rub away pitting or something like that!
    Ben

Yep.. It appears to be.

John

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Yes John, certainly does, maybe this was done to rub away pitting or something like that!

If the TR ever made Artillery Lugers(officially known as the "Lange Pistole 08"), I've never seen one. I would say it's a Frankenstein-hence the cheaper price. The last Artillery Luger, as far as I know was made in 1918. This is not to say that none were ever used during the TR-as they certainly were, but they were from the Great War and were not Issue. Some argue that they Were Issue weapons from WWI stock, but only to reserve Units and Second Line, but personally I find it hard to believe.

And, by the way...that's the next thing that you need for your Artillery rig-the 32 round Snail Drum Magazine!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Mate have you seen the price of them, and thats if you can find a real one lol they are more than the gun and rig nearly
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast