Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Luger values? Do 42 code Luger have matching mags?

Article about: I may have a line on a guys "granpa's" 1940 42 code luger, all matching #'s with two P08 FXO Eagle37 mags and correct black clamshell holster. Both mags have blank alu bottoms, and

Default Luger values? Do 42 code Luger have matching mags?

I may have a line on a guys "granpa's" 1940 42 code luger, all matching #'s with two P08 FXO Eagle37 mags and correct black clamshell holster. Both mags have blank alu bottoms, and one has been interestingly "personalized" with maybe a GI's first name, possibly even a Deutsche Soldaten's first name.

A couple questions.

Are 42 code Lugers supposed to have matching mags, or not so much by this era of production. I seems to have read that more of the Police rigs had matching mags, and looking around on GB and elsewhere on the net, I could not atcually find any 1940 42 code pistols with even one matching mag, much less two. The non matching mags don't bother me in the least, just trying to figure out how correct or incorrect this may be?

This gun seen some action for sure, and there is some very light pitting in the usual places, the rib that sticks out against the holster on the right, some pretty good bluing wear to the removable side plate, wear in all the right places. The bore is stinkin MINT, amazing!

It feeds and ejects perfect, did no fire a round through it, and I might not ever (if I get it)

Now on to the value thing... Kid thinks of course that it was worth $2500, and I had to tell em on account of condition, no way, but i do want it.

So, this morning, I'm researching values on the net, in threads here and there. Guys are showing amazing lugers, that the first few posters in the threads say a grand US... then by the end of the pages guys are saying I'll take it for two grand, even three... as of course there are a few sharks out there trying to get a sweet deal, like we'd all like to, but ripping people off isn't cool, and neither is getting ripped off...

Anyway, long story short... I'm reading ridiculous things like "shooters" (which is what some might consider this one), in the five to eight hundred USD, a thousand, twelve hundred for nice stuff. of course twenty five hundred for the nice minty al matching mag rigs, etc. And on up for rare stuff of course.

What I'm wondering is eight hundred for a shooter? And where might you find people giving away Lugers at prices like these?

Anyway, back to this one, he's selling it for his granpa, and I'm sure the old guy can use all the money he can get. I realize I don'y have pics, but it is the real deal, and the date makes it exactly what I want, is giving fifteen, maybe even sixteen hundies out of line for this. I know it's not a twenty five hundred dollar rig, but as much as I'd love to offer him twelve hundred for it, I don't want to turn him off on the sale. The luger is actually in with the rest of a collection of other guns they don't want to split up, but that I have no interest in, and I'll pay a little premium to get him to cull this one out, which is why I need to handle this carefully.

Thx for any thoughts and advice on current market values ;-)
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 04-27-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Default Re: Luger values? Do 42 code Luger have matching mags?

As far as matching magazines for 40 coded Lugers, I've never seen such a thing, so if there ever Was, they would be pretty rare. I know that P-38's, for example, had serial numbered clips, but to find one that matches the pistol is extremely rare to see. During the war, clips got changed all the time and no one ever thought much about whether they had a Number on them or not, so to see one that Does match on any wartime gun is very seldom seen.

Value-wise, $2500 for an all matching numbers rig is not that unrealistic. Even with fairly heavy wear and light pitting, that is about a normal price. The $800-1000 dollar guns you're hearing about are almost certainly for non-matching or refinished guns. You can find more realistic prices on websites like gunsamerica.com or , gunbroker.com, etc. They will at least give you a rough idea as to what things are actually Selling for.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Ok, thx for the info ;-)

1940 P08s were all issued with two matching magazines. The mags would have been marked 122 on the tube.

So, the FXO Eagle37 mags are incorrect?

Like was said before, if you find a WWII luger with matching magzines it is rare. The examples I have run across in my many years of collecting is mis matched. If you refer to photos on range training in those days you will see a pile of magazines and lugers. Most germans wanted to keep matching magazines for there lugers, but with that said it didn't always happen. your war time magazine will work under those trains of thought and still be correct. Gun Broker is a good place to start to find out what the market will stand, as far as price goes. Keep in mind that the offer price IS NOT the selling price. You will need to look on the Going, going, gone tab to see what they accually sold for. Keep in mind, condition is everything when it comes to these.
    Hope this helps.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Quote by habicht View Post
    1940 P08s were all issued with two matching magazines. The mags would have been marked 122 on the tube.
    IMO the FXO magazines are incorrect for the Luger you are interested in. I have afew German weapons dated later than that and they all have matching numbers on all parts. IIRC the only part I have ever seen on a Luger that wasn't numbered was the ejector.
    However your Luger is not a "Shooter Luger" russian capture, mix master parts, refinished etc are shooter lugers. Depending on the amount of finish your Luger with the clamshell holster could be worth up to $2000. I've seen Luger's like yours with 90% finish, no pitting or rust, all matching with holster sell for that much.

Bunker4
    ?

I have a model 42 byf P08 with two matching magazines

Pictures ???? Please...
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Bunker4
    ?

I will have to take pictures