Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One of my lugers

Article about: This is one of my lugers from my collection. It is a Veteran bring back. It is a 1920 luger with the unit markings on the grip. with a brown dated 1918 holster. All matching. It even has the

Default One of my lugers

This is one of my lugers from my collection. It is a Veteran bring back. It is a 1920 luger with the unit markings on the grip. with a brown dated 1918 holster. All matching. It even has the modified sear safety as shown with the cut piece on the side. This was an internal installation.
    I was told these were police lugers at the time. It was not uncommon for military units to "Confiscate better looking weapons from non combat units".
    I was talking to one of my older customers one day many years ago and he stated he was a jeep driver for a major during WWII with the 87th Infantry Division, Headquarters Company 3rd Battalion. So I ask him if he brought anything back and some limited questions about the war. He said that "driving for a major had it's Advantages". " You could have him as an officer send anything with in reason back for you". He asked me over one night to his house and he went to the bed room and brought out this luger. I was excited to say the leist. He new I collected these things and was not going to resell it. So he offered it too me. He said it has layed in the top of his closet all these years and stated he has never fired it. I took the 1944 dated Ammunition out of the spare magazine in the holster. (I have a picture of one of the rounds). He then went and got his unit history book. It has a map and pictures of where they landed and where they were when the war ended. He wouldn't part with it. We talked about where he picked up the luger. He said in the "bastone area" He liked guns and had seen a dead german laying by a building and had a luger. He had the belt laying with it and dumb me didn't want it. You know young and stupid in the early collecting days. He had some very interesting things he wouldn't part with I wanted, but I wasn't going to ask. He has since passed away I think. I have not been able to get a hold of him in quite a while. So this is my luger with some history behind it. Wish I could get his unit history book and other items.
    Thanks for looking,

JohnOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugersOne of my lugers
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Default Re: One of my lugers

That is nice, and a nice story. Its good that the old boy passed it on before he passed, so many family members see these old military items as junk and dispose of them in the trash, just look at the threads in the other parts of the forums, some of the items thrown away is unbelievable.

The unit marking "L W" is for the Landjagerei Weisbaden.

A pistol with an interesting history.

Thanks for posting.

Regards

Richie

thanks Guys

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Awesome piece! I got to stop looking at pics of Lugers...

?

John a very nice looking pistol you have there...It is 1 item that is on my hit list.."deact" of course being the UK..So thanks for showing the pictures...looks great ,Cheers Terry.

The luger I've been waiting to see! Looks great!!

Quote by Tango View Post
    John a very nice looking pistol you have there...It is 1 item that is on my hit list.."deact" of course being the UK..So thanks for showing the pictures...looks great ,Cheers Terry.
    Hope you score one Terry and don't sweat the deact part. If I ever score another one I would not consider shooting it. Just my luck something might break. But then thats just me.

By an amazing coincidence, I was at my local dealer on Friday when a bloke I know from my collectors society was there with a very similar pistol-same modification and '1920' marked with the unit marking 'L.P.Th.564' on the front grip strap (no holster and a mismatch number wood base mag though)-he wants to find out what the unit was and was unsure as to what the modification actually did.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    By an amazing coincidence, I was at my local dealer on Friday when a bloke I know from my collectors society was there with a very similar pistol-same modification and '1920' marked with the unit marking 'L.P.Th.564' on the front grip strap -he wants to find out what the unit was .
    Marking is for the Landespolizei Thuringen.

Info from History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936 by Don Maus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast