Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any good flea markets in Moscow and St. Petersburg?

Article about: Hi everyone. As you may know, I am going to Russia from May 3-13, and i want to go to some flea markets, and hopefully buy some medals and maybe some helmets. I will first be in St. Petersbu

Default Any good flea markets in Moscow and St. Petersburg?

Hi everyone. As you may know, I am going to Russia from May 3-13, and i want to go to some flea markets, and hopefully buy some medals and maybe some helmets. I will first be in St. Petersburg, and I would like to know what is the best flea market for WWII items in St. Petersburg. I would like to know the same for Moscow, as I plan on going to 1 flea market in both cities. (I already know of the Izmailvo flea market in Moscow, but I still want to see if there are any other flea markets in Moscow that may have more WWII items.) Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any good flea markets in Moscow and St. Petersburg?
    P
    Many

?

FYI, it is not legal to take medals out of the country (export) so there is some risk, but how much I do not know.
    I think paper products (photos and medal documents) are okay....

I went a while ago (to both cities) and found a number of street markets...each one had some stalls selling "military items". Most items were either cloth (hats, caps, banners, flags...and the odd bit of camo) or small (medals, badges, compasses, watches)...as a helmet-collector in the main I was strongly advised NOT to buy any if I saw them (I only saw one Ssh68 as it happened) - I DID get a banner (or two?) and a lambswool officers hat..and sales receipts too! BUT everything I saw there can now be bought from where ever "Earth" (that doesn't help) is. My thought process at that time was to avoid X-ray-detectable shapes. I feared losing any haul at Customs....tho this was 12-15 years ago. I can't recall where the markets were nor would I know if they're still there. I hope you're planning on seeing some of the things you an ONLY see in Russia...medals and awards aren't high on my own list but I suspect you can see examples virtually anywhere nowadays (and probably buy them a lot easier too!) but places like The Artillery Museum in St Petersburg (tho check the Closed days on the web..you may end up peering through locked gates!), the Central Army museum (don't miss the vehicle/planes/trains out back) and the Patriot / Victory (go outside to make sure you see everything) museums in Moscow and of course Kubinka/Patriot Park (although you'll probably need to arrange the later before you go as its outside Moscow) are well worth the trip....and you'll see a load of one-offs ranging from Gary Powers U2 to the Maus...things you can ONLY see in situ. Re the museums, the Russians seem (seemed?) to like a good diorama linked to a backdrop-artwork.....I've not seen so many such set-ups before although personally wish they'd used the space to simply display the pieces which one now can't get to or see up close as they're covered with "mud" and some way away.

There is a thread here somewhere (Museums?) where I posted some pics a while ago.....as others have

Quote by Composite View Post
    as a helmet-collector in the main I was strongly advised NOT to buy any if I saw them
    Hi- I just wanted to mention that I did, in fact, buy an SSH-40 that was "dated" 1941 (I don't know if it really is from 1941 or not- some people have told me it is real, and others said it isn't) and I managed to get that through customs at the airport. I also did manage to get into the airport an early model Kalashnikov AK-47 bayonet through as well, although I did have papers with me saying that I bought it from an official dealer (so I wouldn't get into any trouble... I think ). If you guys would be interested in the bayonet, I may post it if you guys would want to see it.