Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

California Visit 1st week in May - Any thing on? Museums local?

Article about: Guys, Business trip to LA 1st week in May, any shows/militaria/museums worth a visit while I'm there? Regards Bigsie

Default California Visit 1st week in May - Any thing on? Museums local?

Guys,

Business trip to LA 1st week in May, any shows/militaria/museums worth a visit while I'm there?

Regards

Bigsie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement California Visit 1st week in May - Any thing on? Museums local?
    P
    Many

Default Re: California Visit 1st week in May - Any thing on? Museums local?

The main museums in Southern California are primarily non operational Air Force bases and airports, here is a list:

California Military Museum Directory

The closest ones being :

American Society of Military History (ASMH)
    South El Monte, California
    History, Library, Military, Specialized
    Located just 12 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, and you’ll find the American Society of Military History (ASMH). Our non-profit military history Museum is home to over 175 military vehicles & outdoor exhibits dating from 1933 to the present.

Since 1962 we have been dedicated to preserving our nation's military history. We recognize the immeasurable contributions of those in previous generations who have dedicated their lives to defend our nation.
    Planes of Fame Air Museum
    Chino, California
    History, Military, Science, Specialized
    The journey from 10 original aircraft to over 150 has been a long one, the mission has never changed. Planes of Fame Air Museum remains dedicated to collecting, restoring, preserving and displaying aircraft and memorabilia for the educational benefit of current and future generations.
    March Field Air Museum
    Riverside, California
    General, History, Military, Science, Specialized
    Our most important assets are our experienced volunteers who are more than willing to share historical facts, technical data, flight information and little known truths about the past. World WarII vets are dying off at the rate of 1,500 per week so it's important that we let them tell their stories. We are fortunate enough to have over 100 volunteers who are willing to share the past with our guests.

Many thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to some sunshine and some militaria - heaven.

Regards

John

John...there are several in addition to the fine places SUnsetIE has suggested.

If you are going to be in the Long Beach/ San Pedro area, the Fort MacArthur museum is suppose to be a good place to visit, although I have not been yet.

A recent museum my family recently visited is the Patton Tank Museum out in the desert, about 40 miles east of Palm Springs.

If you are an aircraft nut, The Planes of Fame museum in Chino is a MUST! and in fact, if you happen to be here on May 5th, they are having their annual air show, which is incredible, you'll likely never see as many war birds in the air at one time as at this show. Planes of Fame also have a secondary location in Palm Springs but most, if not all of their planes will be at the airshow on the 5th. If you happen to go, stop by the Inland Empire CAF mobile PX, you'll see my son there working!

March Air Museum is another MUST if you are in to aircraft, plan to spend several hours there. If you happen to go, let me know and I will ride out and meet you, it's only 15-20 minutes away.

Oh and last, another aircraft museum, just adjacent to the Chino Planes of Fame, is the Yanks Museum, they have some spectacular pieces there. If in Orange County, near John Wayne airport, you can visit Lyons museum as well. Not near as large as the others but they have some very special aircraft to view as well.

Hope you have a great trip and I know you will enjoy our weather, it is suppose to be a great couple of weeks.

Also a couple nice/small militaria shops to visit. I don't have the names and addresses at my fingertips but if you are interested, shoot me a message and I'll get the info for you.

Russ