Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

help - Ciney Belgium Militaria show 30 OCT

Article about: I will be attending the big show in Ciney, Belgium on 30 OCT. I am new to collecting and not good at spotting fake stuff. Thus, I wanted to ask if someone could steer me toward some reputabl

?

Default help - Ciney Belgium Militaria show 30 OCT

I will be attending the big show in Ciney, Belgium on 30 OCT.
    I am new to collecting and not good at spotting fake stuff.
    Thus, I wanted to ask if someone could steer me toward some reputable vendors that will be at the show?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement help - Ciney Belgium Militaria show 30  OCT
    P
    Many

Lightbulb

I risk sounding rather unhelpful here, but it's not the best idea to go to a big fair like this if you haven't researched your area of interest. What are you hoping to find ? For instance, if you're collecting SS-related items etc then for sure, many of the items you see there will be fake. If you're collecting munition boxes, tank parts etc then items will most likely be correct - but still, you do need to know what it is you are looking at !

Certainly you'll find reputable dealers there ( some of the sponsors of this forum, for instance, may be attending ). But Ciney ( and other big fairs such as La Gleize ) are very big, very busy - and all the really good stuff sells in the first hour. There's no second chance - if you spot something good and go back 10 minutes later to buy it - it'll be gone. But that's the thrill of the chase - if you've done your homework, you know you've found something good immediately.

Also, many of the top dealers charge top prices - you're paying for their expertise ( and overheads ). The best 'bargains' I've had at Continental fairs have always been from collectors who take a stall at such events to raise money by selling surplus items.

Perhaps if you let us know what you're collecting, we'll be able to help more....

Hello ajsell,

There are a few vendors there that are good. You could attend militariaplaza and IMCS militaria if they are there, gielsmilitaria is also good for medals. But i would rather advise you to study what you are looking for because the good dealers as martin said are expensive. Look here at the forum and when you know all you want to know go and hunt. You can't possibly know everything so make a list of stuff you are chasing and perhaps you find 50% of that list. The chase is the best part of it all IMO. You never know what treasure you will find. One last tip is to know the prices of stuff so you don't get knocked over.

Regards juncker93

Great time to get some experience as a start

Also beware of pickpockets and other thieves at Ciney as well as the sellers of fake or iffy items. If you don't know you might also be overcharged as many sellers will not have prices marked on items and might hit you up to the max if they realise you don't know much. Enjoy the show but perhaps keep your money in your pocket until you know what you want, how to spot an original item and what is the going rate for it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I went to Ciney in april this year and bought some medals I was looking for. I got them from the 'small' sellers with the little stalls, compared to the known big name sellers. I myself like the little stalls the most and I had a great time there. Like said before, know what you are looking for, get to know the prices and enjoy the hunt

?

Thanks everyone for the tips, especially juncker93 with some recommendations on dealers to look for. This will be my first big show. I was able to attend the Bastogne perimeter march last year and there were some tents with vendors. I was fascinated by all off the stuff for sale and could have spent all day looking around. I have managed to pick up a few lesser priced things here and there since. I haven't had the confidence to purchase anything expensive. I would really like to obtain an SA Dagger. I don't mind paying a little extra for items from known reputable dealers....it's much better than buying something fake duemail to lack of experience/knowledge.

Just keep in mind that dealers make mistakes too, it's not a solid gold guarantee. Buyer beware!

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Also beware of pickpockets and other thieves at Ciney as well as the sellers of fake or iffy items. If you don't know you might also be overcharged as many sellers will not have prices marked on items and might hit you up to the max if they realise you don't know much. Enjoy the show but perhaps keep your money in your pocket until you know what you want, how to spot an original item and what is the going rate for it.
    I remember one show, one guy cut pockets with cutter.
    Pickpockets are aware about cash transaction.
    He was trapped by police with a lot of money.

For this kind of show, better to go with friend, more fun and good advices.
    And don't rush a deal if you' re not 100% sure.
    Patience is the best advice i can give to you.

?

Good advice from everyone , don't flash your cash around in public or to the dealers unless you know exactly what you are getting and what a good price is !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings