Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ovms membership (sos)

Article about: Just a reminder as I do every year. Don't know the interest on this forum in regards to attendance for the SOS this coming Feb. This is my first year on this forum, so not sure if there is e

Do you drive by car, hike some? Just curious since it took about two weeks.

Quote by real steel View Post
    No problem. Did the Omaha, Utah beach thru Belgium into Germany 5 years ago. Best 2 weeks of my life !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ovms membership (sos)
    P
    Many

We flew into Brussels...spent the night. Rented a large vehicle & headed to Normandy where the 4 of us rented a house in "Turkeyville". Then back to Ardennes for 2 days. My friend has been to Normandy some 20 times...so he knew many bunkers & places the visiting tourist were unaware of. Everyplace we visited, one can drive up close to the sights, then get out & walk some
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ovms membership (sos)   Ovms membership (sos)  

Ovms membership (sos)   Ovms membership (sos)  

Looks great. I will share my Normandy trip details when I get a moment. What's the story with the table of German booty?

That was booty said to be found in the attic of the house next door from where we rented. The owner would not part with any of it. I offered $$ for the HBT tunic, but he did not want to sell. This was in Normandy.

The locket is gold. We found it with the metal detector in the Ardennes. Surprised because that forrest has been picked apart the last 50 years

I have many pics of the trip...glad my friend is good with a camera

I'll be at SOS 2018. Also headed to Normandy June 1-9 for D-Day Celebrations. BILL IN N.C.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Lucky...

MAP
    ?

Great Photos David.

One day.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I went to Normandy two summers ago to visit one of my best friends from college - lucky for me, he was French and from Normandy. He grew up in St. Lo. He lives in Paris now, but his parents still live and are retired in Normandy. I only had two days in Normandy. We went to stay with them and nothing is better than staying in a French house and hearing stories about the war from Grandpa and what it was like during the occupation. Grandpa was about 15 at the time and was forced to bury posts in the open fields to prevent Allied gliders and planes from landing in the fields. He said that when the guards weren't looking too closely, the would bury the poles shallow. This way they could be kicked over if needed.

Maybe one thing better than the stories is the home cooked food. From the homemade croissants for breakfast to the boudin and wine all night in the yard. Lucky for me his parents no longer lived in St. Lo. They retired to Vierville sur Mer - walking distance to Omaha Beach!!!!! It was truly amazing to have a tour from fiends who have (and their families) lived there for generations.

The last thing that blew my mind was while hanging out one night in the garden the older neighbor and my friend's parents were talking quietly amongst themselves. I asked my friend what they were saying and he said "should we show him?''. I went over to the neighbors house and I shit you not - he pulls out 2 German uniforms and an MP44 from the attic. Not sure that is totally legal in France! ReelSteel's comment about the booty made me think of this. How much stuff is hidden in attics in Normandy!!! This was one of the best 2 days of my life.

Quote by nbushyager View Post
    I went to Normandy two summers ago to visit one of my best friends from college - lucky for me, he was French and from Normandy. He grew up in St. Lo. He lives in Paris now, but his parents still live and are retired in Normandy. I only had two days in Normandy. We went to stay with them and nothing is better than staying in a French house and hearing stories about the war from Grandpa and what it was like during the occupation. Grandpa was about 15 at the time and was forced to bury posts in the open fields to prevent Allied gliders and planes from landing in the fields. He said that when the guards weren't looking too closely, the would bury the poles shallow. This way they could be kicked over if needed.

Maybe one thing better than the stories is the home cooked food. From the homemade croissants for breakfast to the boudin and wine all night in the yard. Lucky for me his parents no longer lived in St. Lo. They retired to Vierville sur Mer - walking distance to Omaha Beach!!!!! It was truly amazing to have a tour from fiends who have (and their families) lived there for generations.

The last thing that blew my mind was while hanging out one night in the garden the older neighbor and my friend's parents were talking quietly amongst themselves. I asked my friend what they were saying and he said "should we show him?''. I went over to the neighbors house and I shit you not - he pulls out 2 German uniforms and an MP44 from the attic. Not sure that is totally legal in France! ReelSteel's comment about the booty made me think of this. How much stuff is hidden in attics in Normandy!!! This was one of the best 2 days of my life.
    Fantastic story !! I loved it so much there, I was pricing houses to buy. But reality set in when I got home, I ain't going anywhere. Someday I would like to return

MAP
    ?

Quote by nbushyager View Post

Time to go back and try to get those uniforms Conservation purposes of course
    Last edited by MAP; 02-16-2018 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Auto correct hell. Not To.e but should be "time"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3