Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trip to London

Article about: Hi, some good addresses there for military items and museums, is the tower 17 pounds now Ned, havent been in there for years as kids we used to play around there for nothing. but that was ba

Default Trip to London

Hello all fellow collectors!

I'am going to London next spring,and i tought could somebody tell some great museums about World War 1 and 2.

Some places where i could hunt some militaria would be great to.

Only museum i know is Imperial War Museum.

Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trip to London
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Trip to London

Hi mate.

Apart from the IWM, there is also the National Army Museum on Royal Hospital Road in Chelsea and next door to that you also have the Royal Hospital Chelsea, home of the Chelsea Pensioners, (retired soldiers). RHC has a small museum dedicated to its history and residents, (The opening hours for RHC museum used to be 1000>1200 and 1400>1600 but I dont know if they have changed).
    As regards militaria hunting, your best bet would be the likes of Portobello Road market and Camden Market, or looking around the various antique and 2nd hand shops, but both of these are very hit and miss. There are a couple of "militaria" shops on the Camden Road and Kilburn High Road, but it all depends what you are looking for.

Im sure that some more of the guys will be able to come up with some more ideas etc for you.
    Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Forgot to add that some of us are looking at meeting up sometime in the new year at the IWM, date and time to be confirmed, I think that I am safe in saying that if the dates match, you are more than welcome to join us.
    Last edited by jimpy; 12-06-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Sikorski Institute .. Well worth a visit, but pay attention to their opening times ...

PISM Home

Gary J.

Another couple which might be of interest.

Royal Artillery Museum

The Royal Artillery Museum - Firepower - Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, London, UK

HMS Belfast

Welcome to HMS Belfast, a unique 20th century cruiser

Regards

Richie

?

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Another couple which might be of interest.

Royal Artillery Museum

The Royal Artillery Museum - Firepower - Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, London, UK

Regards

Richie

Ooops.

Im glad my son's not a forum member, he would never let me forget that one Richie...............he's serving Royal Horse Artillery and thats his regimental museum!! (Hangs head in shame!)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Theres the Guards Museum and Gift Shop on Bird Cage Walk. The Guards Museum - Home
    I havent checked the following website out but give it a try, it looks promising armymuseums.org

Churchills War rooms are worth a visit !

Churchill War Rooms > Explore

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

The Guards Regimental museum near Buckingham Palace is an interesting visit. I would recommend a short train ride south to the Bovington Armor Museum. I should also add a visit to the Battle of Britain and Bomber Command museum's in Hendon, north London area.

Thanks for the tips!

Im shure i will visit some of them.

But are there shops that sell specially militaria or antique shops?

My main interest is Soviet items,but it would be fun to bring some british ww1 or ww2 item.
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 12-06-2010 at 07:19 PM.

?

Camden Passage, in Islington , Saturdays, they have a nice little underground militaria fair with quite a lot of various items, well worth a visit, thats where most of us londoner collectors started

The tower of London is well worth a visit, nazi spies were executed in the old moat there. And at 17 pounds a ticket, this guy alone makes it excellent value!!

YouTube - Yeoman Warden At Tower Of London, Part II Of Four

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast