Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

Article about: Hi Folks, I just got home from what was definitely the best gun/ militaria show I've ever been to. I'm not only talking about the selection/ prices of items (there was a wide range of items

Default WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

Hi Folks,

I just got home from what was definitely the best gun/ militaria show I've ever been to. I'm not only talking about the selection/ prices of items (there was a wide range of items to choose from and prices seemed fair) but I am also talking about the interactions with people I had there.

Specifically, I met both MarkV and Newbie from our very own forum.

MarkV and his son met me in the parking lot and we spoke for a while and I told them about the Japanese sword I was trying to sell. They were allowed to enter the show early because they are annual members, while I had to wait until 9 for general admission. As soon as I entered the show, I found Mark and his son waiting for me. They had scoped out the show and found some initial contacts for me to meet with in regards to the sale of my sword! They also found me later on in the show to inform me of other possible leads. TOTALLY unnecessary, but definitely appreciated!

Josh (Newbie) actually convinced me to go to this show some time ago. We facebook and or text multiple times a day... we mostly joke around, but we both do our best to help each other out in terms of authenticating and pricing items. I don't want to speak for Josh, but I'd say we've forged a great friendship. We are even exchanging Christmas gifts! Josh met me mere seconds after I met up with MarkV inside the show and I was able to introduce them. From then, Josh pretty much took me under his wing. He let me hang out at his table AND put my sword among his stock for me to sell. He introduced me to SO many vendors and collectors (including the individual who eventually purchased my sword). He walked me around the show and pointed out various vendors to check out who usually carry the items I'm interested in. Josh and the fine folks he introduced me to taught me so many things... my mind is swimming at the thought and I'm overwhelmed in an amazing sense of the world! Josh and I had originally planned on making a whole day out of today, but unfortunately I was sick this whole past week and felt out of sorts today I had to pass on cigars and turn down an invite to dinner - My apologies, Josh and Co.!

Sorry if this seems like a rant... but I'd just like to say that the spirit of WRF is alive and well in the Northeast United States! Mark and Josh, THANK YOU!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show
    P
    Many

Default Re: WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

I should also add that Josh and I were able to meet "Wild Bill" Guarnere from Co. E 506PIR 101st Airborne Division - made famous by Band of Brothers. At nearly 90years of age, Bill is still sharp as a tack! He was at the show from opening until 3pm signing autographs, posing for photos, answering questions, and just in general sharing his wit and sense of humor with everyone. Unfortunately, Wild Bill is looking very frail...

When I asked for a photo, I put my Japanese sword down to pose with Wild Bill. Wild Bill took the Japanese sword, waved it around, and exclaimed in his South Philly accent: "Oh jeeze... Look at dis ting here! My Gawd! I'm glad the Jerries didn't swat dese tings at me!"

When I asked him to sign a print for me, he took the time to add his own spin to the photo

An amazing fellow and an amazing experience. They broke the mold after making "Wild Bill"!

WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria ShowWRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

Default Re: WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

If I knew about it I could of made it to this show but I would of felt out of place....

I've been going to this show for nearly 30 years - one of the best. Next one is in February - come out and I will meet up with you. You can stay here in Allentown for free if you wish and do two days! Neil

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    If I knew about it I could of made it to this show but I would of felt out of place....
    How so?! SO MANY people at this event made me feel welcome. If you can, go to the show tomorrow and walk around. See all the cool stuff, meet some amazing people and ask questions!

I don't care what anyone says... there is always something to learn when it comes to this hobby. Even the oldest, most experienced collector on this forum is a student of militaria and is ALWAYS learning. As an example... not to call anyone out... Josh and his group are an amazing wealth of knowledge when it comes to so many different areas of militaria. They noticed a rifle across the room and incorrectly identified it as a Mauser. I pointed out that it was actually a "Springfield" M1903A4!

I was fortunate enough to handle my first authentic SS helmet and a super rare K98k sniper rifle today... Life is good.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    How so?! SO MANY people at this event made me feel welcome. If you can, go to the show tomorrow and walk around. See all the cool stuff, meet some amazing people and ask questions!

I don't care what anyone says... there is always something to learn when it comes to this hobby. Even the oldest, most experienced collector on this forum is a student of militaria and is ALWAYS learning. As an example... not to call anyone out... The group of gentlemen I was hanging out with today are an amazing wealth of knowledge when it comes to so many different area of militaria. They noticed a rifle across the room and incorrectly identified it as a Mauser. I pointed out that it was actually a "Springfield" M1903A4!

I was fortunate enough to handle my first authentic SS helmet and a super rare K98k sniper rifle today... Life is good.
    I would feel left out because I'm so young and there was an SS helmet?!?!? If the guy would let me put it on, I would die...... Also, I agree that this learning will never end. One reason is because of fakes sadly. Is there many fakes around there? Also, if you know the address could you let me know

If anyone is interested, these are the items I picked up today:

They include an M1 Garand dis-assembly mat, USMC 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Divisions patches, a USMC shooting qualification badge, USMC M1941 HBT tunic, an Italian WWII canteen, and U.S. 10th Mtn Division, 27th Infantry Division, and a U.S. tank destroyer patches.

WRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria ShowWRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria ShowWRF at the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society Gun/ Militaria Show

Also looking at you and the vet., it must be a good experience because there isn't very many around still that were paratroopers.

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    I would feel left out because I'm so young and there was an SS helmet?!?!? If the guy would let me put it on, I would die...... Also, I agree that this learning will never end. One reason is because of fakes sadly. Is there many fakes around there? Also, where is the show and if you know that address, could you let me know?
    Bring an adult who has a mild interest or can at least tolerate your interest and you'll be fine!

Most vendors are passionate about this hobby and will have fond memories of when they were your age. No guarantees, but I have a strong feeling that a few will be more than generous in terms of offering information and perhaps even discounts or freebies.

Just make sure not to over-stay your welcome when going from table to table. In an ideal world, all vendors would be social butterflies... ready, willing, and able to talk your ear off. Unfortunately, some are not and can be rather short and grumpy. Gauge their tone of voice and body language... if they are busy with another customer, or starting to grow annoyed with you, move on!

There were MANY SS items at this show... MANY authentic pieces, and I am sure many fakes, too. Start small, do your research and eventually the big pieces will come.

Here is the website for the show. Address can be found on the bottom of the page (Allentown, PA): Gun Show Schedule

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast