Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Yorkshire Air Museum - Elvington

Article about: I really recommend a visit ! Its also home to the Bomber Command Exhibition which is fantastic ! A great day out at an authentic WW2 Bomber Command airfield! Nick Brief History

Default Yorkshire Air Museum - Elvington

I really recommend a visit !

Its also home to the Bomber Command Exhibition which is fantastic !

A great day out at an authentic WW2 Bomber Command airfield!

Nick

Brief History
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yorkshire Air Museum - Elvington
    P
    Many

Default Re: Yorkshire Air Museum - Elvington

Hi Nick, thanks for reminding me about Elvington. I have not been there since the early 1990's and it is really somewhere I need to visit again.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi.

I might pop over to elvington i live in north yorkshire myself so its not to far.
    Also you should visit all the ww2 plane crashes around yorkshire in total i think there is something like 72 downed planes.

I am new aswell to this forum hi evryone.

VAMPY

Hi Vampire

Welcome to the forum!

You certainly like your bunkers !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi

HEHE i guess you have looked at my pic album i have been out today in the snow to take some more pics of the ww2 bunkers around my parts

VAMPY

Quote by VAMPIRE V12 View Post
    Hi.

I might pop over to elvington i live in north yorkshire myself so its not to far.
    Also you should visit all the ww2 plane crashes around yorkshire in total i think there is something like 72 downed planes.

I am new aswell to this forum hi evryone.

VAMPY
    Indeed a Junkers 88 crashed into a farmhouse near Elvington as it was strafing returning Halifax bombers. There is a memorial to the German pilots and the occupants of the farmhouse.

Story below,

Night of the Intruders - 60 Years On

In early March 1945, the German Luftwaffe, in an isolated display of resistance, developed a tactic which, had it been deployed earlier, could have neutralised the WWII operations of Royal Air Force Bomber Command.

In early March 1945, the German Luftwaffe, in an isolated display of resistance, developed a tactic which, had it been deployed earlier, could have neutralised the WWII operations of Royal Air Force Bomber Command. In the early hours of 4th March 1945, in Unternehmen (Operation) Gisela, some 200 Junkers JU88 nightfighters of the Luftwaffe Nachtjagdeschwader Gruppen (Night Fighter destroyer Group) had been deployed to intercept the allied bombers returning to base at their most vulnerable point, just before landing. The marauding aircraft crossed the North Sea at points stretching between the Thames Estuary and up the east coast to the North Yorkshire moors. The fact that these intruders were able to cross the North Sea coast without being picked up by English radar operators would seem to have been a result of a degree of complacency that had set in amongst Bomber Command, as the Luftwaffe appeared to be subdued.

The Bomber Command mission scheduled for that evening was a dual attack on the synthetic oil producing plant at Kamen and a raid on the Dortmund Elms canal. 234 aircraft from the northern 4 & 6 Groups took on the first mission, with 222 bombers from 5 Group, Lincolnshire, tackling the canal, departing bases at around 10.00pm on the 3rd March 1945. The mission ran smoothly, until the return, when they ran into trouble in the form of Operation Gisela. On this clear night, some of the early returning aircraft had inexplicably switched on their navigation lights much earlier than usual, despite warnings of the dangers of possible predators, which was copied by those following. This gave the circling intruders a clear, enticing target.

Having already claimed two Halifax Bombers of 158 Squadron returning to RAF Lissett, near Bridlington, Hauptmann Johann Dreher (Iron Cross) flying his Junkers JU88 of 12 NJG, set his sights on a French 347 Squadron Halifax, returning to RAF Elvington. At approximately 1.50am as Capitaine Notelle approached Elvington, he received the warning of the attack, just as the airfield lights went out. He pulled his aircraft up and headed north for Croft, narrowly escaping the menacing intruder.

The nightfighter continued its attack on Elvington, strafing the road at a passing taxi. Circling for another pass at 1.51am, the JU88 was too low, clipped a tree and crashed into Dunnington Lodge, a farmhouse on the outskirts of the airfield. Machine gun fire from the fighter had strafed the farmhouse, before the aircraft crashed through one section of the building. Here, farmer Richard Moll and his wife, Helen (60), were awakening, having been startled by the gunfire. Their daughter in law, Violet (29) was making her way to their bedroom when the aircraft struck. Meanwhile, her husband, Fred, was saving the life of their 3 year old son, Edgar, by scooping the child up in one arm and, with fire extinguisher in the other, fighting his way through flames and debris to the outside. Tragically, both his wife and mother died as a result of their injuries, shortly after admission to hospital. Richard Moll survived initially, but suffered severe burns and died later. The JU88 ended up in a field at the junction of the Elvington and Dunnington roads.

This was the last German aircraft to crash on British soil during the war, preceded by a 7 NJG JU88 crashing at Welton, near Lincoln at 1.48am and 5 NJG JU88 crashing near Halesworth, Suffolk, at 01.37am. Three French Halifaxes were brought down that morning, though with miraculously few casualties. On route to Croft in escaping the trap at Elvington, Notelle’s Halifax was hit three times by fire from the JU88 of Feldwebel Gunther Schmidt, before he successfully belly-landed the burning aircraft at Rockcliffe Farm, Hurworth, near Darlington. All crew escaped, but some reports suggest that two civilians were killed by the skidding aircraft. Notelle was treated at hospital at Northallerton for a head injury. Sous-Lieutenant Terrien, remaining at the controls of his burning Halifax whilst the other six baled out, crashed at Glebe Farm, Sutton on Derwent, close to the Elvington base. In a tragic irony, Capitaine Laucou, on his first mission, was brought down near Orford Ness, Norfolk, reflecting the extent to which the returning aircraft had been scattered by the attackers. Both he and the flight engineer were killed, but the others baled out.

Intervention by Mosquito fighters brought this disastrous Night of the Intruders to an end, but, in just a couple of hours, Bomber Command had lost a further 19 aircraft in addition to the 9 reported missing on the raids themselves. The Luftwaffe also lost 25 fighters out of the 200 involved in the operation.

Ian Reed, Museum Director, said: "If the tactics used by the Luftwaffe in Operation Gisela had been introduced much earlier, the effect on Bomber Command would have been catastrophic and altered the course of the war. The fact Elvington is the site of the last German fighter to crash over British soil is of national significance and adds to the unique history on which the Yorkshire Air Museum is based."

Photographic Opportunity:

The Yorkshire Air Museum displays a unique rebuilt Halifax, which is painted in both 158 Squadron markings and also in markings representing the French Squadrons of RAF Elvington. Additionally, we have a handbuilt replica of a German Messerschmitt Bf 109. These two aircraft can be seen in close proximity for photographic purposes on: Thursday 3rd March at 10.00am.
    Other digital images are available:
    Notelle's crashed Halifax at Croft.
    Notelle and his crew.
    Capitaine Laucou (portrait)
    French Squadron Halifax.

Notes:
    The crew list of the JU88 at Elvington is:
    Hauptmann Johann Dreher. Iron Cross.
    Oberfeldwebel Hugo Boker.
    Feldwebel Martin Bechter.
    Feldwebel Gustav Schmitz.

Sources:
    Evening Press article - 5th March 1945.
    RAF Bomber Command Losses Vol. 6.
    French Squadron Records - YAM.

?

Very interesting museum , if you check out the programme on the web you could be there when RAF and Luftwaffe Pilots and Aircrew are in attendance , plus some German Fallschirmjager who now live in the UK are regular attenders to some events
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I've never been there.......I will have to go soon though having looked at it on the web ! Looks a great place.

Reckon they'd allow me to do a bit of detecting while I'm there ?

Steve T

I used to go drag racing there in the 70's !.....with an ol' Chevy II.

It where the guy from Top gear nearly met his maker!

Nick