Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?

Article about: Hi all, Would anybody be able to confirm that I've correctly identified this one as a type 1.14.1. The pin is magnetic. Thanks for your help.

?

Default Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?

Hi all,

Would anybody be able to confirm that I've correctly identified this one as a type 1.14.1. The pin is magnetic.

Thanks for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?   Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?  

Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?   Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?  

Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?   Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?  

Last edited by rbminis; 10-02-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?
    P
    Many

Quote by fch630 View Post
    Hi all,

Would anybody be able to confirm that I've correctly identified this one as a type 1.14.1. The pin is magnetic.

Thanks for your help.
    Correctamundo.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Looks like a rare Linden clasp in gold to me...

Hello Fch,
    the bar certainly has the patina to be a genuine article but what is going on with the pin?
    I have seen the vertical scoring before on Linden Spanges but they all seem to be on reproductions.

That gold colouring that the bar is covered with certainly looks as though it was applied originally.

I have faith in Ned's assessment.

Cheers
    Doug

?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Doug, that's an interesting point you've raised about the pin. It certainly has some unusual scoring. I'm pretty confident all is ok with it, but if anyone feels otherwise please let me know

The slight downward bend in the pin that was deliberately done at the factory on nearly all FLL clasps to help align the pin to the catch is always something I look for in a genuine example, especially when the crucial makers mark is not easily visible.

Interesting point by our German colleague about the clasp being a possible gold example, I missed that, and now tend to agree!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I was hoping it was a gold, but wouldn't have been too disappointed with a bronze, so that's good news.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Interesting point by our German colleague about the clasp being a possible gold example, I missed that, and now tend to agree!
    Regards, Ned.
    Damn...there are some good reproductions of these FLL clasps.
    I am not too sure about it being gold.
    Reading about the make up of the FLL clasps a gold layer was applied first before the chocolate coloured application. It is as the chocolate colour disappears that the gold shows through.

Here is an example of the bronze clasp...
    Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?

So a good bronze.

I also agree that it is a gold example. You can compare with my bronze example with almost all of the finish remaining posted here.
    Nahkampfspange in Bronze, FLL, Friederich Linden, Ludenschied
    Quote by Saladin View Post
    Reading about the make up of the FLL clasps a gold layer was applied first before the chocolate coloured application. It is as the chocolate colour disappears that the gold shows through.

Here is an example of the bronze clasp...
    Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?Nahkampfspange in Gold, FLL Type 1.14.1?

So a good bronze.
    I disagree with this as the only place there is gold finish remaining is in areas protected from wear by the hinge and clasp. Also, compare the color of the pin with my example, different color altogether.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Reading about the make up of the FLL clasps a gold layer was applied first before the chocolate coloured application.

Who wrote that? Not a true statement regarding the production process of FLL claps imo. The curvature of the needle is also a textbook FLL feature. 90% of original clasp will show that particular needle.