Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc

Article about: My little spare bedroom here in Warrington seems to be expanding into the western arm of the DDR museum based in Berlin. In recent weeks there have been a few new arrivals - all sourced in G

Default DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc

My little spare bedroom here in Warrington seems to be rapidly expanding into the western arm of the DDR museum based in Berlin! And in recent weeks there have been a few new arrivals - all sourced in Germany, and mostly with a police connection.

DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc

The state flag on which everything is placed is a rather early one measuring approximately 6ft X 4ft, and it is made up of five separate panels stitched together. The three main cotton panels make up the colours of the German flag, and then the two panels bearing the state symbol are printed. The Volkspolizei licence plate is relatively small, and I would assume that it probably came off a motorcycle. The 'Wach-Rgt.F.Dzyierzynski' cuff title is for the military arm of the STASI who were responsible for guarding state government buildings.

The second cuff title is a bit more contentious, because apparently no such cuff title was ever used. All of them appear to have been produced after reunification and are looked upon as 'fantasy' items. At the time of me purchasing it I was unaware of this. But it appears that I am in good company, because the Imperial war Museum in London also have one in their collection. Their example is the one next to the colour chart.

DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant discDDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc

The final item is an East German Kriminalpolizei warrant disc which was issued in Berlin about 1952... note the lack of the state coat of arms on the Police symbol. Apparently the first discs which were issued had to be scrapped due to the wording on the back: 'VOLKSPOLIZEI DER DEUTSCHEN DEMOKRATIISCHEN REPUBLIC.' This was deemed to be in breach of the special status of the divided city and the inscription had to be changed to: 'DEUTSCHE VOLKSPOLIZEI.' Although nowhere near as rare as the WW2 issue discs, they can still command fairly high prices - depending on issue numbers, and they are also heavily faked. But this example is totally original.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DDR Kriminalpolizei warrant disc
    P
    Many

Some very nice and interesting bits and pieces there Steve, i particularly like the Polizei warrant disc as it reminds me of the old Gestapo discs,
    As for the Stasi cuff title from what i have read they are indeed a fantasy item, somebody needs to tell the IWM!...
    I still can't understand the lack of interest in the DDR/NVA area of collecting, some items are beginning shoot up in price.

I am fortunate enough to have plenty of time on my hands to hunt down the bargains on the internet. It reminds me of the early 60's when TR items were 10 a penny, and there were plenty of junk shops that were full of it. As kids, we often found Nazi stuff on the local tip. The only thing you didn't see much of was Japanese items, they really were despised back in those day's, and it didn't do to show off your Japanese souvenirs.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The final item is an East German Kriminalpolizei warrant disc which was issued in Berlin about 1952... note the lack of the state coat of arms on the Police symbol. Apparently the first discs which were issued had to be scrapped due to the wording on the back: 'VOLKSPOLIZEI DER DEUTSCHEN DEMOKRATIISCHEN REPUBLIC.' This was deemed to be in breach of the special status of the divided city and the inscription had to be changed to: 'DEUTSCHE VOLKSPOLIZEI.' Although nowhere near as rare as the WW2 issue discs, they can still command fairly high prices - depending on issue numbers, and they are also heavily faked. But this example is totally original.

Cheers,
    Steve

Me too Steve, I am rapidly reaching a point where the DDR element of my collection is about to outgrow most of the other national elements.

I thought I would add this Kripo Dienstmarke in my collection here rather than start a separate thread so that it makes later reference easier.

Like yours it is a "revamped" Berlin disc and for it's age is in very good condition.

The dimensions are nominally; 5cm long, 3cm deep and 2.5mm at the edge.

As you say, the reverse inscription was changed on the Berlin discs because of the objections of the Western Allies of the quadripartite "Protecting Powers" in the city. This is why the Berlin discs ended up with the '9' prefix when there were actually only 8 "Inspektionen" (Inspectorates) in the DDR;

1. Berlin (Original)
    2. Sachsen.
    3. Sachsen-Anhalt.
    4. Thuringia.
    5. Brandenburg.
    6. Mecklenburg – Vorpommern.
    7. Transportpolizei.
    8. Grenzpolizei.
    9. Berlin (Revised)

The discs were issued from 1949 (some sources say 1950) as a form of "Warrant" and each was marked with a unique number comprising a single digit representing the area followed by a four digit serial number ( numbers up to 999 were preceeded by zero). The two elements being separated by a hyphen (Binderstrich).

I think I might seek out an example of the other reverse inscription though I think a full set might be a "Bridge Too Far" but I've said that before

I hope this is of interest.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for posting your warrant disc Mark, I had not seen this thread before, a DDR example would seem a nice thing to keep an eye out for in the future.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Thanks for posting your warrant disc Mark, I had not seen this thread before, a DDR example would seem a nice thing to keep an eye out for in the future.
    Yes, there is something quite intriguing about them, they are something peculiar to Germany (as far as I know) and I think they originate with the Prussian Police.
    Of course "the" one to have is the Gestapo disc but I don't see me ever having the chance to snag one of those (or even any of the other TR variants!!)

The story goes that some of the high numbered DDR Berlin discs (the '9' series I believe) were issued to Stasi officers masquerading as "more acceptable and less scary" (really??) Kripo officers when ever the need arose

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yes, there is something quite intriguing about them, they are something peculiar to Germany (as far as I know) and I think they originate with the Prussian Police.
    Of course "the" one to have is the Gestapo disc but I don't see me ever having the chance to snag one of those (or even any of the other TR variants!!)

The story goes that some of the high numbered DDR Berlin discs (the '9' series I believe) were issued to Stasi officers masquerading as "more acceptable and less scary" (really??) Kripo officers when ever the need arose

Regards

Mark
    That's quite correct Mark... the higher '9' series fetch good prices - so they are faked!

There are some about on Ebay, but the prices are crazy, and I’m not sure they are necessarily good examples. Wonder if these DDR dienstmarke are any easier to research their owners, given that the Stasi records are archived?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    That's quite correct Mark... the higher '9' series fetch good prices - so they are faked!
    Hi Steve,

You and I are fortunate enough to know comfortably what a real one looks like but as with everything else, until one gets to that happy position a great deal of caution is required.

Much of the distinction is concerned with the overall patina which having cut ones teeth on British cap badges of the ealy 20th century (made of similar material) is quite easy to determine but only once you know it!

I have seen fake Dienstmarken but (touch wood) they are all easy to spot given the above pre-cursor knowledge and having handled real pieces. The material looks wrong (even the same material made by modern processes looks different), the definition and wear is false in appearance and for want of a better expression they don't "smell" right
    Of course one can only know this from physical handling so anyone considering a purchase please post here first!

@ Blackcat, I am not sure that the Stasi records would contain Volkspolizei service records where such info must surely be filed (I don't know for certain) though I am pretty sure that the Volkspolizei archives must be around somewhere. Our German pals could never have binned all that lovely archival material surely?

Sorry to my German friends, that is just a little tongue- in-cheek humour. You know like all the "Rosbiff" and "English disease" jokes on the continent

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-06-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo