Become our sponsor and display your banner here

DDR Verdienstmedaille

Article about: Another medal purchased a while back... and this one is also to a high ranking DDR politician. Margarete Mueller joined the SED in 1951 and studied agricultural science at Demmin and the Uni

Default DDR Verdienstmedaille

Another medal purchased a while back... and this one is also to a high ranking DDR politician. Margarete Mueller joined the SED in 1951 and studied agricultural science at Demmin and the University of Leningrad. By 1971 she had reached the higher echelons of power and was appointed to the State Council where she was responsible for agriculture, forestry, and food production. She resigned her post in January 1990.

The Medal of Merit of the GDR was just one of several orders which was bestowed on her during her extensive political career. Along with the medal came a gift of 1,000 Marks, and the award was usually presented on 'May Day' and 'Republic Day' (October 7th). Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

DDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  VerdienstmedailleDDR  Verdienstmedaille
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DDR  Verdienstmedaille
    P
    Many

A very nice looking medal and with an interesting history too. Worthy of a museum exhibit. Interesting to think how she might have felt after so many years of service to the state and this all coming to an end with the collapse of the DDR.

The German dealer who sold me this medal also has her Verdienstorden in bronze and silver... she also received the award in gold - although the dealer does not have that. I didn't know about this when I purchased the medal, and I had known, I would not have purchased this one. I hate to see medal groups broken up.

This award still isn't a patch on the Aenne Kundermann award that I posted though. Check link below.

DDR 'Faschismus' medal
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'