Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsche Grenzpolizei 'G' Armelabzeichen

Article about: I looked for another thread concerning this as I feel it is better to try and keep like items together for easier reference but couldn't find one so if anyone has anything similar or connect

Default Deutsche Grenzpolizei 'G' Armelabzeichen

I looked for another thread concerning this as I feel it is better to try and keep like items together for easier reference but couldn't find one so if anyone has anything similar or connected please add it here and if need be the title could be altered to accommodate diversification.

I don't usually pick up much cloth insignia as I am more interested in the badges and awards that are added to the uniform according to the service of the man wearing it!

However, I saw this and couldn't resist it as it is the first one I have seen other than in books and the price was not too scary

This was worn by the DGP on the left jacket sleeve of the black service dress uniform in the period circa 1951 - 53.

Referred to in relevant literature as the "Typical 'G' arm patch" it does seem to have significant status as a recognition feature if not quite an icon.

It is of the shade that we have come to know as "GT green" and the embroidered G and border seems not to be white but a very light grey. I don't think this is due to age or dirt but an intended shade. Does anyone know for certain?

The embroidery and base material seem typical of the period.

All comment and opinion is as usual most welcome.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Grenzpolizei 'G' Armelabzeichen
    P
    Many

Well done Mark! To me, it looks like discoloration caused by aging.

I've seen reproductions of the officer's variants, but not sure if they fake these too. Yours looks like a genuine example though!

-Joel

A nice patch... I've not seen one of these before.

Cheers,
    Steve

The website "grenzkommando" contains quite a lot of useful info that I haven't seen elsewhere;

Uniformen

Credit to the site for this picture

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice patch... I've not seen one of these before.

Cheers,
    Steve
    I'll second that.