Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm

Article about: Hello guys, This week I got this M56 helmet from a colleague. He wasn't interested in it and had it in his garage for years. Sadly the years in the garage didn't do the helmet and leather an

?

Default Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm

Hello guys,

This week I got this M56 helmet from a colleague. He wasn't interested in it and had it in his garage for years. Sadly the years in the garage didn't do the helmet and leather any good. It has some rust and the leather is a little dry.

After some searching on the forum I believe it is an early one. The chinstrap must be second type, as it has the cheek protectors. The following stamping is on the inside: II (for the size), 3 (month of production) and the year of production must be in the 60's, but the stamping is to faint to tell the exact year.

I was looking for an M56 and am happy to give this one a home.

Regards, Rik

Sorry for the photo's. My phone keeps putting them sideways.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm   Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm  

Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm   Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm  

Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early DDR NVA M56 Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Nice to see an earlier example, you usually see the later M56/66 or M56/76. This one could be anywhere from the late 50s to 66!....

?

Thank you Gunny. I was also thinking the same and I'm very happy to have an early M56. A lot of later one's aren't even issued and I rather have a used one.

Quote by Dschop View Post
    Thank you Gunny. I was also thinking the same and I'm very happy to have an early M56. A lot of later one's aren't even issued and I rather have a used one.
    Indeed, my example is an M56/76 that is inissued!...

That's a nice "salty" M56 I would love to know how it ended up in a garage in your part of the world!

I don't think the leather looks too bad. I can't see any cracks or obvious weak points. I suggesst a rub over with a fairly stiff bristle brush such as a shoe brush (animal bristle rather than the Bahia type used for floors etc) to remove dust then wipe with a damp cloth followed by a good leather treatment such as Fiebings 4 Way Leather Care. This should make the leather more supple and pleasant to look at without taking any of the patina of age away.

Wipe the shell with a damp cloth then dry thoroughly and it will look much better for display.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-18-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your advice.
    I did try to treat the leather, but I was still looking for something to give it that 'good' treatment. Now I know what to look for.