Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

East German Helmet

Article about: Hi Group, I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have an East German helmet that I am looking for a larger liner for. The liner I have in the helmet itself is too small for my head.

TPK25
    ?

Default East German Helmet

Hi Group,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have an East German helmet that I am looking for a larger liner for. The liner I have in the helmet itself is too small for my head. I adjusted to two tabs on the front sides but still too small. I am in need of one that will fit a size 59 or 60 head. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks....Tom

2. # ADS

Smile Re: East German Helmet

Quote by TPK25 View Post
    Hi Group,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have an East German helmet that I am looking for a larger liner for. The liner I have in the helmet itself is too small for my head. I adjusted to two tabs on the front sides but still too small. I am in need of one that will fit a size 59 or 60 head. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks....Tom
    hello, here is what I heard some soldiers did to make the helmet fit better if it was too small, they removed the foam padding and adjusted the liner to the biggest adjustment.

the East German helmets come in 3 sizes and should be stamped inside the shell as

I = small

II = medium

III = large

my helmet is marked a size III [large] and I wear a US size 7 5/8 hat size, the helmet fits me well.

sounds like you need a bigger helmet size? the size III are kind of rare and hard to find, but sometimes they show up on ebay

you probably need a size III helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German Helmet  

Default Re: East German Helmet

My east german helmet . Size III

TPK25
    ?

Thanks for the information. I am new at this so the liner itself would have size on this? It fastens to the helmet via small steel posts that the liner snaps onto. Thanks again...

Quote by TPK25 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I am new at this so the liner itself would have size on this? It fastens to the helmet via small steel posts that the liner snaps onto. Thanks again...
    no the shell has the size stamped into the metal, usually located near the side

you should see these types of markings in the steel shell for example:

II

II is the shell size [medium]

7 is the month [July]

71 is the year of manufacture [1971]

if you remove the foam padding and adjust it to the largest size and it still doesnt fit your head, you need a bigger helmet

you cant buy a bigger liner, you have to find a size III shell

I heard the liners used on the late type with a snap in liner are only made in one size / universal adjustable size