Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)

Article about: Recently made a purchase from a friend and fellow collector out of Germany an East German Kampfgruppen field jacket and trousers from the 60,s as well as a AK-47/Makarov pistol cleaning kit.

?

Default East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)

Recently made a purchase from a friend and fellow collector out of Germany an East German Kampfgruppen field jacket and trousers from the 60,s as well as a AK-47/Makarov pistol cleaning kit.

In the same lot was a East german issue AK-47 Bayonet and scabbard the bayonet it self is a M59/2 it fits any standard AK-47, The Bayonet is quite hefty and the carbon steel blade with serrated spine is sharp measuring in at 5 3/4 inches.The handle is manufactured from non-electricity- conductive synthetic material.One other small point of intrest on the handle of the bayonet it has one unique characteristic not seen on any other AK-47 bayo . The scales on the handle of the knife are black plastic (synthetic) rather than some variations of red,reddish brown or brown plastic as found on thoes from other countries .When serial numbers are present they are pen engraved on the left side of the crosspiece. The East Germans designated this bayonet the "M59/2"

The scabbard is a type two and is manufactured from steel and then has a protective coating of non-electricity-conductive synthetic material covering it as well . The tip of the scabbard sports a piece of High carbon steel which is to be used as a cutting edge in the notch cut out at the end of the tip so when the Bayonet and scabbard are combined together they make for an excellant set of wire cutters being that they are non conductive to electricity and the fact that the high carbon content of the steel makes for a durable cutting edges.

The belt hanger is detachable from the scabbard do to the hook and ring construction making it easier to use the pair as wire cutters as far as I can tell the hanger leather comes in two colors field grey and dark brown .

As to why they are considered transitinal as far as I can tell so far it is only do to the fact that they were mating type one and type two componants together from existing bayonets and scabbards that were stockpiled in military storage ?

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)   East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)  

East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)   East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)  

Last edited by Mark K; 01-08-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: CHANGE DATA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)
    P
    Many

Default re: East German issue AK-47 bayonet and scabbard (transitional)

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    In the same lot was a East german issue AK-47 Bayonet and scabbard (transitinal) the bayonet it self is a type one the were designed for tactical use by commando's it fits any standard AK-47, ...
    ... When serial numbers are present they are pen engraved on the left side of the crosspiece. The East Germans designated this bayonet the "Modell 47"
    Hi !

Your bayonet is not an M47, it´s an M1959/2

It´s a standard bayonet and was used in the entire NVA and was not a bayonet, made for commando´s only.

You can find the weapons-No. engraved inside the attaching slot in the hilt.

Your bayo is sharpened and heavilly cleaned but you can find such GDR bayonets for an amount of apx. Euro´s 15,-- up to 20,-- in an unused condition.

Best,

R.

?

Thanks Riebert !!!! I had gathered most of my research data from AK47Bayonets.com It is good to know it is a M1959/2 I will have to do a little more research can you tell me if the scabbard is correct to the model please .

Regards Mark K

Riebert I have changed my original post to the M59/2

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    ... can you tell me if the scabbard is correct to the model please .
    Riebert I have changed my original post to the M59/2
    Yes, it´s correct !
    Any markings upon the scabbard ?

BTW, there you can find an odd 1959 bayonet used in the NVA:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayon...bayonet-88876/

?

As to the markings I will not be able to tell you till next week Reibert as it is in the post still and as soon as I have it in hand I will update the information to the post.

Thank you for the interesting thread most informative.

Regards Mark K