Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen

Article about: Up to 1946, responsibility for the security of the East German border fell to the Soviets, but in 1946 the 'Deutsche Grenzpolizei' (DGP) was formed and all responsibility was transferred to

Default Grenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen

Up to 1946, responsibility for the security of the East German border fell to the Soviets, but in 1946 the 'Deutsche Grenzpolizei' (DGP) was formed and all responsibility was transferred to the East Germans. In 1961 there was a further change when the DGP was absorbed into the NVA, and the DGP now became the: 'Border Troops of the GDR' (Grenztruppen).

The Leistungsabzeichen of the old DGP was of an oval shape and rather plain in design, but upon its restructuring in 1961 the badge was changed shortly afterwards. I have four badges covering the first issue to the last issued up to reunification, all have different fasteners on the back. The first picture is of the original DGP badge. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Grenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Another to add to my search list. I have one of the new ones, but I'm not sure what box it's in atm, to check the pin.

I have long found this badge intriguing maybe because of the iconic border guard symbols of the PPSH (replaced by the AK47 in subsequent badges) and the border marker post.

I only have one which like most of my DDR pieces was garnered during the last months of the regime when all the wheels were falling off and everybody was trying to make a fast buck!

I particularly liked this one because the pin has been removed from the back and replaced by with a screw post and plate from one of the various qualification spangen used by the DDR. I did think to change it back using the pin from a donor badge such as one of the many very inexpensive commemorative items that use the same fastener but I decided against it because I see this as something I might have done myself if I had been in the DDR forces instead of the British! As such it has a special interest in its' own right.

Regards

MarkGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I must admit that I have only over seen examples of the Leistungsabzeichen with the PPS and the border post, although there were two commemorative badges issued in the 1980's which had the AK47 on them. Andreas posted a picture of them a while back.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I must admit that I have only over seen examples of the Leistungsabzeichen with the PPS and the border post, although there were two commemorative badges issued in the 1980's which had the AK47 on them. Andreas posted a picture of them a while back.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Sorry, I meant AK47 appears on the designs of other later badges like the Schutzenschnur and so on! Not the Leistungsabzeichen

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There was also this special commemorative badge produced for those who served in the Grenztruppen… This one being sold by larin_de

A few additions just for the sake of completeness (I had already posted these on my "DDR badges" thread, but they fit in here as well).

There was also this special commemorative badge produced for those who served in the Grenztruppen… This one being sold by larin_de
    It's one of a series of four different Reservistenabzeichen [reservists' badges] (the other being for the army, navy and air force). This was the third and last model of reservists' badge, introduced and manufactured in 1990 just before the collapse of the GDR the same year and generally believed not have been issued:

Here they are. They were for the the 35th and 40th anniversaries in, respectively, 1981 and 1986:

And,while I'm at it, my Leistungsabzeichen:

By the way... I noticed only now that my badge has the pin assembly soldered on the wrong way up!

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    By the way... I noticed only now that my badge has the pin assembly soldered on the wrong way up!
    Aha! a rarer version no doubt!

Default Leistungsabzeichen der Grenztruppen der DDR miniatur

I added this one today.

I have seen these before but thought it about time there was one in my increasing group of GT/KVP/DGP items.

As you may be aware the civilian "Grenzhelfer" voulunteers were also awarded the Leistungsabzeichen but additionally received a miniature stickpin version shown here next to the full-size piece.

I don't know the timeline for the issue of these so if anybody does that would be really helpful.

Regards

MarkGrenztruppen LeistungsabzeichenGrenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-08-2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast