Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grenztruppen Medal display

Article about: Made up a little display box for some of my Grenztruppen Medals. Sorry but picture is not the best.

?

Default Grenztruppen Medal display

Made up a little display box for some of my Grenztruppen Medals. Sorry but picture is not the best.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grenztruppen Medal display  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen Medal display
    P
    Many

?

That's a lovely display Hagen. It is a very nice set together and it looks great.

Regards, Rik

Very nice Cheers for showing.

Its always nice to see DDR Items... a vastly underrated area of collecting. Some collectors do not realise what they are missing with this period of German military history!

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Its always nice to see DDR Items... a vastly underrated area of collecting. Some collectors do not realise what they are missing with this period of German military history!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Nice display Hagen

Steve is spot on and these are becoming more collectable almost by the day!

For comparison and to show that you are not alone in this interest here are a few GT pieces I just grabbed out of my "DDR" drawer

I managed to acquire these whilst my day job was growling at these guys over the Berlin Wall

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-23-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A nice display of items from a very interesting era of German history.

I've always meant to ask you Mark... were you issued with a 'SOXMIS' card when stationed in Germany? Or perhaps this was something only used during late 60's - early 70's.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've always meant to ask you Mark... were you issued with a 'SOXMIS' card when stationed in Germany? Or perhaps this was something only used during late 60's - early 70's.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve, yes for sure and I might even still have one somewhere. Everyone was supposed to carry one but in my corps it was something that was inspected when mounting duty. It had to be inside the cover of the MOD F145 (Police Notebook) along with Orders for Opening Fire (different forms for BAOR and West Berlin but same basic content as the "Yellow Card" in Northern Ireland) as we were armed routinely ever since two of our blokes were shot by Irish Republicans in Sennelager.

My corps along with a few attached RCT drivers maintained 19 Sp Platoon based at Bielefeld who were responsible for chasing the Soxmis vehicles in PRA and TRA. They had Opel Senator V6 with extra fuel tanks so the best Soviet Ladas were never going to outrun them!
    The rest of our units had responsibility for trapping Soxmis vehicles in our own areas. We just used to box them in and put blankets over their windscreens. In the Soviet Zone Brixmis and the other allied military missions used to get beaten up, run over and even in extreme cases a couple were shot! I recall one US officer was actually shot dead!

These were interesting times.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I never saw one single SOXMIS car in the two years that I spent in BAOR, 1969-1971... and I never kept my SOXMIS card, although I still have my 'Blue' and 'Yellow' cards form NI.