Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Grenztruppen uniform set up

Article about: Just recently I found myself really interested in East German collectibles, and I decided to buy some items for my collection while DDR stuff is still reasonably priced. To me the Berlin wal

Default Grenztruppen uniform set up

Just recently I found myself really interested in East German collectibles, and I decided to buy some items for my collection while DDR stuff is still reasonably priced.

To me the Berlin wall is the very symbol of the cold war, and the men that guarded it were the most loyal to the East German government. Of course with the exception of the famous defector Conrad Schumann LoL. Anyways I decided to make a Grenztruppen uniform display. I want to get a complete uniform, and display it on a mannequin. I've already bought the tunic, pants, and undershirt.

Since im not that well versed on East German stuff, I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions I had. First of all what type of service was this uniform for? Was this a so called dress uniform, or was it intended for service? Also what type of belt should I get? I have seen period photos of both the standard DDR leather belt, and a claw buckle version in use on this style of uniform. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen uniform set up
    P
    Many

Here's a better photo. For some reason I couldn't get it to upload correctly on the first post.

What you have is an Enlisted mans tunic, which was a standard issue tunic so used for daily assignment and for guard duty, drill ect.
    However most GT units outside of Berlin or major border cities wore the Strichtarn for actual border tower/fence, patrol, training.

Nice one, the grenz got me into it too! This one is for regular duties ie railway stations etc.., so you'd need the black belt with aluminium buckle (claw is NCO/officer)
    Good you got an enlisted man's as for me was trickier to find!
    Could have sworn I made a display of a set but can't find a shot in my archive!! here's an officer set

I know this is not grenz sorry (all I could find!) but you could set it up similar to this too. EM set.

Wow I really appreciate all of this very helpful info!

Ok so I will get a black leather belt with aluminum buckle. What threw me off with deciding what belt to get was this photo here. It appears to be the same type of uniform that I have, and the same rank too. Maybe this is some special duty solider? Sorry again for the photo issue. I cant seem to upload it correctly.

Again thank you so much for the help!

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Wow I really appreciate all of this very helpful info!

Ok so I will get a black leather belt with aluminum buckle. What threw me off with deciding what belt to get was this photo here. It appears to be the same type of uniform that I have, and the same rank too. Maybe this is some special duty solider? Sorry again for the photo issue. I cant seem to upload it correctly.

Again thank you so much for the help!

Against regs '89 pic, the stasi will get him and his family!

Ah I see LoL

Thanks for clearing that up. Im hooked on East German stuff now!

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Ah I see LoL

Thanks for clearing that up. Im hooked on East German stuff now!

Best regards- Jarret
    no worries Jarret, I had to go into rehab to slow it down Mate!
    Looking forward to see what you pull out.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-04-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added text

one more thing, they wore the striped camo over these uniforms too. can't see it here though

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast