Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1956 East German helmet

Article about: I recently purchased this helmet so I thought I'd share some photos. This helmet is from 1981 I think, so a later one. It does have a cord netting, but I haven't put that on yet.

Default Re: M1956 East German helmet

I have m56/76 aka last version without exposed rivets and the shell was made in July of 1970. Is it M56/66 shell reworked to accept later model liner ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1956 East German helmet
    P
    Many

?

Is the story these were developed from a WW2 German design intended to replace the M42?

I have 2 of these, one with a VOPO cover and the other a raindrop camo cover

yes the story goes that they were developed to replace m34/40/42 style helmets but it was never done.

question: where the foam pads on m76s to be removed when liner was adjusted or where they to be kept ?

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    yes the story goes that they were developed to replace m34/40/42 style helmets but it was never done.

question: where the foam pads on m76s to be removed when liner was adjusted or where they to be kept ?
    I would say the foam pads were to be kept when adjusting the liner, the foam pads act as self adjusting pads and help keep the helmet more secure for a better fit, if the pads were removed the helmet would tend to slip more easily during use, the foam pads are very easy to replace, you can get the padding anywhere and add a different size to custom fit the helmet if you needed to.

nice photo of the M56 / 71 Stahlhelm in use
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1956 East German helmet   M1956 East German helmet  

if you dont mind me posting here's my examples M1956 East German helmetM1956 East German helmetM1956 East German helmet

Is this some sortof variation? My NVA Helmet (Liner marked 1981/87 (it's faded)) has a much shorter brim than this. I've got a size 60 head and it fits with no trouble so what's the story?

Update: I just did a check and it's made in 1972 and the liner says it's a size three. the helmet only has the number "5" and "72" underneath etched into the left skirting, if that helps at all.

Quote by angus1235 View Post
    Update: I just did a check and it's made in 1972 and the liner says it's a size three. the helmet only has the number "5" and "72" underneath etched into the left skirting, if that helps at all.
    not really

Default M56 Stahlhelm

the East German M56 & M56/66 and variants were also in use during the African Civil Wars as shown in this photo taken in 1983

NAMIBIA: People's Liberation Army of Namibia training in Angola, circa 1983
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1956 East German helmet  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2