Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1956 East German helmet

Article about: I recently purchased this helmet so I thought I'd share some photos. This helmet is from 1981 I think, so a later one. It does have a cord netting, but I haven't put that on yet.

Default M1956 East German helmet

I recently purchased this helmet so I thought I'd share some photos. This helmet is from 1981 I think, so a later one. It does have a cord netting, but I haven't put that on yet.
    M1956 East German helmet M1956 East German helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1956 East German helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1956 East German helmet

One way to tell is to check the inside around the chinstrap area, it should be stamped with a year , only showing the last 2 numbers of that year it was made.

Anthony

It has 2 (the size I think), then 5 (the month?), and then 81 (the year). Though it is a newer one, I'm happy with it as its mint condition. Thanks for the reply!

Quote by A trench Dude View Post
    It has 2 (the size I think), then 5 (the month?), and then 81 (the year). Though it is a newer one, I'm happy with it as its mint condition. Thanks for the reply!

a size II shell should measure approximately 12" inches long and 10.5" inches wide

are you going to put a net on it? the nets are very inexpensive , the M56 helmet is a nice display piece and would look great with a EG or Russian gas mask on display

‪NVA Film Schützenpanzer SPW und SPZ Teil1 von 2‬‏ - YouTube

the soldiers in this video have nets with camo on their M56 helmet

battle gear, your helmet is actually the later model 1966 helmet, the M56 has a quite different liner, liner attachment and chinstrap...the M56 is the rarer of the two helmets. See here.....ALEMANIA 56
    Prost ! Steve.

@Battle gear, yes I may add the netting soon, just haven't got round to it yet. And I have to agree, it looks great on my desk along side my other helmets, its a great helmet for display.
    @Oradour, Your talking to Battle gear right?

Quote by A trench Dude View Post
    @Battle gear, yes I may add the netting soon, just haven't got round to it yet. And I have to agree, it looks great on my desk along side my other helmets, its a great helmet for display.
    @Oradour, Your talking to Battle gear right?
    No...disregard any reference to battlegear, the I.D. of the helmet is for you, A Trench Dude. Your helmet is an M66 not an M56.
    Prost ! Steve.

Oh ok thanks for the info! To be fair to the seller he never said it was a M1956, he simply said East German helmet. I just assumed that's what it was, so thanks for clearing that up!

The one I have has only two markings it also has rivets.
    so would it be a M56 dated 1964.

Chris

M1956 East German helmetM1956 East German helmet

here are some nice color photos showing the East German M56 in use, I like the photo with the DDR soldier and the Soviet soldier, the German appears to be wearing a M56 or M56/66, the Russian has the Ssh40/41 with Y strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast